Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12  13
Author: Subject: My next oud project
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 10-31-2005 at 09:59 AM

Jameel,
I have been watching in silence but now have to break the silence. I hope that there is a 3rd, 4th 5th and many more beautiful ouds made by your hand and you will go down in oud history as one of the masters in our period of time.
With all my best wishes,
Andy
http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-31-2005 at 12:07 PM

Congratulations for a momentous accomplishment. Your oud is as fine as any I've ever seen. I'm very proud of your development into one of the finest luthiers today. The video is very beautifully done and Simon looks like he really enjoying playing. Live long and prosper, my friend.

chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 08:43 PM
thanks

real nice!!.. wish I 2have one like that one day... :airguitar:

:))ALF MABROUK.... :))

btw... your video is incredible... khississan on the big projector, with great sound... om kalsoum, sabah.f..........

g r e a t and thanks
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
What a grand finale Jameel!
I will have to watch the video again but with tabouli and kase 3raa2 this time. Kasak Jameel.

And Knafe! Ellie you forgot the Knafe. You cant finish a good meal without a hot slice of Knafe.:D

Jameel, remarkable job. I think this is one of the most beautiful ouds I have ever seen and the sound blew me away. What did you think of the sound, did it exceed your expectations?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 06:19 AM

Thanks, everybody. I had fun making that video. I'm really glad that it turned out sounding nice. But there's one thing I don't like about the oud. When I play it, it just doesn't have the same sound as when Simon plays it. :D

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 06:22 AM

To answer your question Samir, I won't be taking orders. I'm not in the position to right now. When I make another, and it ends up sounding good, then selling would be an option. But until I master good sound production, I couldn't take orders.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:11 AM

Yah thats a good awnser Jameelo.
Also I wanted to know what simon tought of the oud. Did you ask him for his honest opinion? was he blown away... I know I would be.
Thanks Jameel
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 01:08 PM

I love the sound of the oud. Ask me again in a year. It way exceeded my expectations, so I'm really thrilled with it. Samir, regarding whether Simon liked the sound of the oud or not, I think the fact that he would play a week-old oud from a beginning oud maker live in concert pretty-much says it all. I'm still amazed by it. I almost wanted to give it to him!

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palestine48
Quote:
What a grand finale Jameel!
I will have to watch the video again but with tabouli and kase 3raa2 this time. Kasak Jameel.

And Knafe! Ellie you forgot the Knafe. You cant finish a good meal without a hot slice of Knafe.:D

Jameel, remarkable job. I think this is one of the most beautiful ouds I have ever seen and the sound blew me away. What did you think of the sound, did it exceed your expectations?

Not to sidetrack, but Kenafeh must be one of my favorite foods. I just made some a couple of weeks ago. Yumm yumm!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 03:57 PM

Jameel, congratulations, man. The oud sounds excellent now, what'll it sound like in ten years? It looks amazing, some of the best workmanship i've seen on an arabic oud; certainly by any living maker.
And for Simon to play it in concert? That's the biggest compliment i can imagine. He has his pick of great ouds to play . . . there's no way he would perform on an instrument not up to his (incredibly high) standards.

Brian
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 06:14 PM

Congratulations Jameel on completing the second oud :bowdown:. That was a neat video too. This whole thread was very a delight to follow. I learned a lot. I hope you make more ouds and maybe other instruments. What I really liked was how the fingerboard came out. That's an excellent lesson in marquetry.
Peyman
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
Jameel, congratulations, man. The oud sounds excellent now, what'll it sound like in ten years? It looks amazing, some of the best workmanship i've seen on an arabic oud; certainly by any living maker.
And for Simon to play it in concert? That's the biggest compliment i can imagine. He has his pick of great ouds to play . . . there's no way he would perform on an instrument not up to his (incredibly high) standards.

Brian

Exactly, Brian. Everyone is asking me how it sounds, what Simon thought of it, etc. He played it in concert. If that doesn't answer the question, I don't know what does. I think the quality of it comes out even through these low-quality videos. I'll be laying down some tracks (always wanted to say that! :cool: ) soon with some better mics so you guys can hear the sound better. Now, it won't be Simon playing so it won't have the same sound (obviously) but hopefully something nice will happen. He really made this oud sing.

mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 02:03 AM

I had to come out of the lurker cave on this one. Jameel, you are an inspiration to us all, truly. This whole project was a work of artistic magnificence. And to have one of the world's greatest oud virtuosos perform with your creation....That just shows your skill. Keep up the good work.

Enjoyed the video as well, excellent work.
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 02:50 AM

Mabrouk Jameel!
Your oud is a real work of Art, and it sounds very very good...i think that in a few months it will be great! The work you did on it id so precise and accurate... it's incredible detailed...a lot of compliments also for the video that i enjoyed so much...
salamat
elias
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 10:53 AM

Jameel there is no word to say how much i love your oud and especially his sound.Perfect projection ,loud...

Bravo bravo and we are waiting for your next project...maybe something turkish?? A Manol copy ?? :D

Nikos
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 12:17 PM

Jameel,

I just wanted to chime in, too. I've watched your progress on the oud since its inception. It always made my day to see an update. I thought the pay-off was seeing the finished product. Then, I watched the video. Absolutely incredible!!! You're a man of many talents. I look forward to your next project, whenever that will be.

Bravo!

William
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 01:14 PM

I personally apologize to Jameel for some of the latest posts in this thread. Sorry it took me this long to delete and modify it.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 08:00 PM

Thanks again everyone. You are the ones who made it happen. Thanks again, Mike.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 08:42 PM

Jameel,
You are welcome friend and thank you for sharing. I personally enjoyed every bit of this thread and always looked forward to an update.

I am just wondering, I never seen or read much about the bracing on this oud so I assumed that you followed Doc's Na7at plans, until you indicated in a different thread that you parted from Doc's book for the bracing on this oud. I must say that it was very brave of you to take such a risk on such a beautifully made instrument. So I am assuming that you somehow weren't totally in the dark on the bracing of this soundboard.

Can you share some insight with me regarding your new approach on the bracing or will you have to kill me if you did:D.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 11:02 AM

Quote:

Can you share some insight with me regarding your new approach on the bracing or will you have to kill me if you did:D.

I spread the braces about the bridge a bit more than Richard's book, and relieved some of them a different way. (concave instead of convex) I didn't write it down, and I forgot to take pics, so I guess the next one will be a departure, too!

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 11:05 AM
Another video

I took some video with some good mics of the new oud. If you don't think technique plays much of a role in the sound of an oud, just listen back to Simon's playing then compare. Whoa! And that was with the camcorder mic only.

Khalaf Oud 2005 Video

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 12:10 PM

Whoa Jameel.
you kept feeding us all this time.. Iam stuffed !!
But I still crave some more :D there's always room for this.
Congradulations once more on your accomplishement.
Speaking of braces I would like to know exactly what makes the basse strings sound deeper and have a longer sustain? Because for my own rebraced oud it turned out sounding really clear and high for the trebles but the bass strings sound a little dead... I know I havent been using quality wood so of course its a factor but I would like your point of view for that. Also Do you know of any ouds that have a non uniform face? as in thiner in some parts? I tought makers could also play with that aspect. Cheers.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
I spread the braces about the bridge a bit more than Richard's book, and relieved some of them a different way. (concave instead of convex) I didn't write it down, and I forgot to take pics, so I guess the next one will be a departure, too!

I am assuming by spreading the braces farther you got more bass and concave made it louder? What do you think?
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 05:44 PM

Yaa Allaaaaaaaah,
sounds sooo sooo warm. Jameel you have made my week. Allah yehdee eedayk.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2005 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Whoa Jameel.
you kept feeding us all this time.. Iam stuffed !!
But I still crave some more :D there's always room for this.
Congradulations once more on your accomplishement.
Speaking of braces I would like to know exactly what makes the basse strings sound deeper and have a longer sustain? Because for my own rebraced oud it turned out sounding really clear and high for the trebles but the bass strings sound a little dead... I know I havent been using quality wood so of course its a factor but I would like your point of view for that. Also Do you know of any ouds that have a non uniform face? as in thiner in some parts? I tought makers could also play with that aspect. Cheers.

From what I've learned from Doc O ,Nahat braces are uniform, but the soundboard is thinner on the bass side/edges. Turkish ouds have asymetrical bracing but consistent faces. I made the soundboard on this one a bit thinner on the bass side, and the braces symmetrical. It's obvious that one can make a good sounding instrument using different methods.

Pages:  1  ..  10    12  13

Go To Top