Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  13
Author: Subject: My next oud project
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 06:46 PM

Brilliant!! :applause:
Lets get some strings on it! I dont wana rush you actualy but Iam really exited for you. This thread makes my day everytime you update it!
Its on the final strech now!
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 05:02 PM

Jameel, you have now made one oud with the mould, and one without. Any thoughts as to the advantages of either approach?

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:35 PM

Jonathan,

Check back on page 3 for some comments between Elie and I about the mould and making ribs.

I think using a mould has a good benefit over mould-less: it prevents making the back too small, or rather, too narrow, since without the mould, the ribs can slowly move in as you reach to front. The mould prevents this. It also gives places to put pins to hold the ribs in place as they cure. It also provides some security if the bowl should get bumped during construction, providing a movement restriction that might prevent a popped joint. It doesn't help in fitting the ribs. As Dr. Oud has shown, it's possible to build free form, but until I have more experience I'll be using a mould.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 12:35 PM

Thanks. One more thing--can you tell me what wood you used for the neck block and tail block. Is that pine? Do you know if there is a certain wood that shows up more often in ouds than others for this? Or, if Arabic ouds tend to use one type of wood, and Turkish ouds another? I have read Dr. Oud's book, where he mentions isomg pine, cedar, spruce, or soft mahogany. I can't imagine that it would affect the sound too much, but I guess the wrong wood could add a lot of unnecessary weight. Does anybody know what would the Nahats tended to use for this? Manol? Karibyan?
Sorry for all these questions, but I am learning a lot from you.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Thanks. One more thing--can you tell me what wood you used for the neck block and tail block. Is that pine? Do you know if there is a certain wood that shows up more often in ouds than others for this? Or, if Arabic ouds tend to use one type of wood, and Turkish ouds another? I have read Dr. Oud's book, where he mentions isomg pine, cedar, spruce, or soft mahogany. I can't imagine that it would affect the sound too much, but I guess the wrong wood could add a lot of unnecessary weight. Does anybody know what would the Nahats tended to use for this? Manol? Karibyan?
Sorry for all these questions, but I am learning a lot from you.

I use basswood for the blocks. It's a lightweight hardwood (deciduous) that is very stable. It carves and shapes great, and glues very well. It's just about perfect for this application. I think the old makers probably used whatever they had around, probably leftover chunks of spruce or cedar from the soundboard and braces. I don't think the wood choice here has much effect on sound, but using a heavy hardwood like maple or walnut would be overkill.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel... Does anybody know what would the Nahats tended to use for this? Manol? Karibyan?...

Every oud I've seen the blocks were either pine , cedar or spruce. I have seen some carved out inside, but not by the original makers. i suppose someone thought if you increase the volume inside or make the blocks lighter it would be beneficial in some way, but I don't believe it has any affect other than making the oud weigh less.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 12:11 PM

Is there any problem with just using some Douglas Fir I have lying around?
Also, I notice that you guys don't use the thin purfling strips between the ribs. I know a lot of people don't. Do you think that this would add greatly to the difficulty level?

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 12:16 PM

Just made my oud profile this morning based on a 1964 Karibyan, so I may be pestering you guys with some questions.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 03:24 PM

Jonathan,

That's great news. I'm looking forward to following your progress. About the purfling strips. I've never done one with the strips, so I can't answer your question about the difficulty. I would imagine the trickiest part would be bending them, but if you can handle bending the ribs (obviously), the purfling strips should't be too hard. You still have to fit the ribs as well as if there were no purfling. I noticed on Dincer's site (pics 8 and 9 or so) that he uses the mould itself to form the purfling bewteen two ribs while heating it with a small iron (you can get these in hobby shops--they're used for applying decals to model airplanes and such. They cost about half than if you bought it from a luthiery shop) I like the look of a back with no purfling. And all the ribs on the back of this oud were cut and assembled sequentially from one thick piece of walnut, so the grain flows seamlessly from rib to rib. It should look quite nice once varnished. About your douglas fir. That's a fine wood, but if it's from some construction lumber, it may not be that dry. Construction lumber is not held to the same dryness requirement as cabinet-grade wood, even though it might be as clear. You'd have to have a moisture meter to know for sure, and the wood could ooze sap perhaps months later. It's best to buy good quality wood from a reputable dealer. You should have no problem finding great wood dealer a few minutes from your area. Believe me, when building a instrument, don't ever fall to the temptation to cut corners or skimp on anything. It's not worth the time.

kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 07:18 PM

Good luck, Jonathan, on your new project, and keep us all posted!

Jameel, how wonderful it is to be so near the finished product... all the best on your last mile...

Mark
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 09:15 PM

Thanks. Jameel, your point is well taken. No point in screwing up right in the beginning. I think I will skip the purfling between the ribs, too--unnecessary complication.
I picked up a couple of books recently that really got me thinking about making an oud, and neither book was on ouds. The first was called "Clapton's Guitar--Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument". I am not a Clapton fan, but it really is about this eccentric guitar maker and his dedication to the craft. Reading about him actually reminded me of a couple of oud makers that I admire. It really isn't about the money for the guy, he just wants to build superb instruments. And it takes years to get him to build one for you. It doesn't matter what you might offer to pay him, either--he eithier thinks that you are fit for one of his guitars, or he doesn't. I have given up on the guitar, but I would like to meet the guy someday. The other book is called "Stradivari's Genius"--again, made me appreciate those luthiers that are just so incredibly dedicated to the craft.
I will let you know how things go, but I am guessing that this is going to take about 47 years for me to complete. But, it is going to be very simple in design. Out of necessity. I don't have the skill for anything too complicated.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:49 PM
Finishing......

Jonathan,

Those books sound great. I'll have to check them out. And good luck with your project. Just take your time, it will be worth it.

_____

I finished up the construction of the oud last week!! :bounce:

I've been varnishing the oud this week, and just finsihed up. I'm using again Tru-Oil, wiped on as per lmii.com's instructions. http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm I chose not to fill the pores, since I like the more natural look of the walnut, instead of the ultra-level gloss finish that is usually associated with a filled finish. It's really a great method. Simply put, it's a wiped on varnish. Very simple. The most tedious part is meticulously sanding the entire oud from 180 grit up through 600 grit, extremely thoroughly. It took me several hours to do this. But at the end, the oud is so smooth you wouldn't believe it. It actually starts to shine before any finish is applied. And afterwards the oud is as smooth as a baby's, well, you know.:D

All that's left is the nut, and of course, new strings. I'll be using Aquila's Nylgut Arabic set, tuning CFADGC.

Stay tuned for some special final posts about this project.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Brilliant!! :applause:
Lets get some strings on it! I dont wana rush you actualy but Iam really exited for you. This thread makes my day everytime you update it!
Its on the final strech now!

Thanks Samir! Your post made my day!:buttrock:

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:41 PM

2005 revelation of the year :bowdown:
you get the MVL ( Most Valuable Luthier award) awarded to the highest scoring Rookie. Hahaha..
In all honesty your work is amazing.
All the best. Health etc...
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 07:49 PM

Alf Mabrouk Jameel.

I doubt that there is a single member of this forum who is not envious of your skills and this beautiful instrument.

Regards,

Greg
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:05 PM

What a beautiful peice of art Jameel.

:buttrock::bowdown:

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 06:46 AM

That's awsome! :bowdown:
Let's call DIY network and have them make an oud special with Jameel. You have the experience too with those excellent videos you posted! :xtreme:

Congratulations
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 03:29 PM

Thanks everybody. Stay tuned....

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 04:36 AM

Jameel,

You're killing me. When can we hear it?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 04:44 AM

Be patient, young Jedi. All in good time.......:D

Seriously, I'm working on a nice presentation for the "final" post. It will be worth the wait. There may even be a glimpse of a very famous oudist playing the oud, but no promises yet...

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
2005 revelation of the year :bowdown:
you get the MVL ( Most Valuable Luthier award) awarded to the highest scoring Rookie. ...

With all due and considerable respect, Jameel is no rookie. He is a professional woodworker of the highest caliber with years of training and experience. In addition he is a gifted artist. and I wish he would share some of his art with the forum. When Jameel brings his skill and creativity together in making his ouds, the results are absolutely phenomenal from many aspects. His fabrication precision is unparalleled and equaled only by the very best luthiers. His design is stunning due to his artistic talent, which is considerable. I am envious of his accomplishments myself, and in such a short time it seems. I am also very proud of Jameel for taking the time from his other obligations to produce what I consider a milestone instrument, combining the best of modern fabrication with the ageless design of the masters of the Nahat family to produce a new standard for all oud makers to aspire to. Live long and prosper, my brother.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 09:34 AM

Samir,
I wasn't offended by your comment, please don't be offended by mine. I just wanted to clarify to those people who have little or no woodworking experience how skilled Jameel was before he started. It may be intimidating for a beginner to see such magnificent work with only 2 ouds to his credit. I want to encourage anyone with the interest and will (and determination) to try their hand. The experience is so rewarding, even if the result is crude and clumsy - I know my first ouds were. But they're like children, I love them no matter how ugly they are.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 09:49 AM

Samir,

You've never said anything offensive to me. I consider your comments a great compliment. Despite Richards gushing comments, which I'm flattered by, I am really a rookie when it comes to the SOUND of the oud. With only 4 soundboards under my belt, I'm all rookie in that sense. Before I started building ouds I had several years of fine woodworking and carving. Any accomplished furniture maker could make a beautiful oud, it's just woodworking after all, but to add the special touches and elements which make for a great sounding instrument takes years of experience. I'm just getting going in that respect. So for now, if this ouds sounds nice, it's mostly from copying other's knowledge, and a good amount of luck, too. Look for a special post here within a week.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-25-2005 at 10:56 AM

Doc O, I get your point of view and if you check now its like nothing ever hapened :D
Thank you Jameel for your clarification. Iam looking forward like many to see this special post.
Respect
samir
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 11:19 AM

Jameel,

I'm eagerly awaiting the revelation of this new oud. It's almost like there's a curtain in front of it, and we're all at a party waiting for it to come up. While my opinion may count for very little compared to the other oud makers who have already offered you their praise, I want to tell you that this oud looks like a work of art. Truly, incredibly beautiful. Such detail and precision... you're amazing. If the sound is as good as the looks... then my God, I hope that someone in Southern California buys it and allows me to come over and fiddle around with it. Or better yet... how about you come down to So.Cali. for a while so we here can meet the oud maker as well! Haha... it could be the start of an oud tour.

God be with you, my friend. Patience is a virtue that you certainly possess.

TP21

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  13

Go To Top