[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 08:46 PM
Video--shooting the short miter and assembly

Video--shooting the short miter and assembly

Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 05:00 PM
Completed the back

Completed the back today. The shape is a bit off, but for my first time building with a mould, I'm satisifed. The shape of the ribs is very critical. If the taper is just a bit fat, it will multiply with each rib and make the back off-shape. Overall, I liked building with the mould. It didn't really make it easier than without a mold, but it did provide a shape to guide the construction, and with proper fitting and technique, prevent making the bowl smaller than intended.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 05:01 PM
The bowl

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 05:03 PM
More...

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 05:04 PM
bottom view

The shape of the bowl is a little wider at the widest spot than it should be, about 4mm or so.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 05:08 PM
Comparing the shape

The darker outline is the final shape of the bowl. You can see in the lower, wider section, how the shape differs from the pattern. It's a bit assymetrical, but probabaly will be unoticeable on the finished instrument.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 08:34 PM

Nice work Jameel. My guess is that a lot of ouds have this same character but we just don't hear about it. Being a perfectionist is a quality of a fine instrument maker.

I have a guess on the cause of this, and it is just a guess. Whe you assemble the ribs, do they also bend across the width of the mould? Looking at the profile of "The bowl," the ribs appear flat. I think the gap may be due to that the calculations of the ribs widths were made without taking into account the straight segmant approximation of an arc, which might be the case in practice. Just a guess.

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience Jameel.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 04:58 PM
Back scraped clean

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
Nice work Jameel. My guess is that a lot of ouds have this same character but we just don't hear about it. Being a perfectionist is a quality of a fine instrument maker.

I have a guess on the cause of this, and it is just a guess. Whe you assemble the ribs, do they also bend across the width of the mould? Looking at the profile of "The bowl," the ribs appear flat. I think the gap may be due to that the calculations of the ribs widths were made without taking into account the straight segmant approximation of an arc, which might be the case in practice. Just a guess.

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience Jameel.

Thanks Elie. I'll comment on your guess. The ribs do not bend acroos the width. They remain flat. Actually, if the rib is wide (like for 13 rib bowl), it actually gets minutely concave (on the outside face) but not enough to cause any fitting problems. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know why this happens, I'm guessing something to do with compression causes the distortion. Who knows? The discrepancy is caused by two things in my experience. One, making the rib shape (the edge) incorrectly, and bending the rib a small amount differently each time the rib is fit. Imagine the ribs assembled before they are cut to shape, but bent. You would just have a long straight oud-shaped tunnel. When you start tapering the edges, the ribs start to form a circle. To a greater or lesser extent the shape of the rib determines the radius of the bowl. The closer to "square" the rib is, the less of a radius you will end up with. Even one rib that's a bit off will affect the rest. I think for the next bowl I will draw lines on the form to give the exact shape of each rib. (You can see these on Dincer Dalkilic's form). I should have done this on this oud, but foolishly didn't. When I fit each rib I have to re-bend it on the iron, not only since it has opened up since I first bent it weeks ago, but also because it must match the shape of the previous rib. We're only working with 2.3 mm or so, so the edge must match very closely. If it doesn't there won't be enough rib thickness left when the joints are scraped flush. If you go by Dr. Oud's book, the back should be 1.5mm all over, so I guess the alignment could be off quite a bit with a 2.3mm rib. I think nowadays most ouds have thicker ribs. My Sukar has 3mm ribs and is not light. The first oud I made had about 2.3mm, and it was very very light, so this thickness works well for me.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 04:59 PM
Tail end

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 05:07 PM
Wiping on some naptha

Oooooooh.........pretty:xtreme:

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 05:41 PM

Love the chreography, just missing the belly dancer :D
That bowl cleaned up pretty good, wow. When is the inlay going in?

I think what you mentioned regarding the marking of the mould will solve this problem. I would like to add to that taking flexible strips of transparent plastic and bending them over the mould then trasfering the marks to the plastic and labeling each strip with a corresponding order on the mould then connecting the marks with a smooth curve. Then cutting along the curves. These curves now are used as templates for the ribs.

Good work bud. .V,,
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 05:45 PM

Wow...what a beauty Jameel! Bravo my friend. I know you've told me the most tedious part for you is the back assembly, so I'm glad that's over for you. It really turned out fantastic! Way to go. Can't wait to see the inlay either.

Take care,
Mike

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 05:57 PM

Jameel, I would like to add, and I am certain that you have accounted for that but just to be complete, it seems to me that when designing the mould one should make the profile of the edge of the mould's vertical dividers round and the dimensions of the mould to the tip of the round edge would reflect the dimensions of the inside of the bowl.

(Wishfull thinking: but maybe Jameel will have belly dancers for the inlay video :D :D)
dss
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 05:39 AM

Jameel, the documentation of your work is incredible and very inspiring.

I wonder how long it will be before you appear on the television show DIY: Handmade Music? I just happened to catch the last episode going step-by-step through the process of making a dulcimer (previoulsy a guitar and mandolin).

See: Handmade Music

Thanks,

Don

PS. Long time lurker on this site and needed to re-register. Great site, Mike.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
Jameel, I would like to add, and I am certain that you have accounted for that but just to be complete, it seems to me that when designing the mould one should make the profile of the edge of the mould's vertical dividers round and the dimensions of the mould to the tip of the round edge would reflect the dimensions of the inside of the bowl.

(Wishfull thinking: but maybe Jameel will have belly dancers for the inlay video :D :D)

Elie,

The flats on the form really aren't wide enough to affect the shape of the back. Take a look at some of the forms on Ronny's site, they are much cruder than mine. I'm just a beginner, but I'm of the idea that form serves two purposes. 1. Hold the blocks at their proper position
2. give a general idea of the shape of the bowl.
Elie, you should make a mold and get right into making a bowl. I did what you are doing now before I started building---trying to analyze these aspects a bit too much. Just start doing it---that will answer 99% of your questions in about 5 minutes, and save a whole bunch of brain drain in the process. The mold really has nothing to do with fitting the ribs. It's not like to slap the bent rib on the mold, push it to to previous rib and let the glue set. The rib has to be bent very precisely to the shape of the previous rib and jointed so the edge closes with virtually no pressure. I fit my ribs so the joint closes when just barely holding the rib against the previous one. I also have a flexible light that I place inside the bowl to check the joint. If I see ANY light at all through the joint, I fit it until it closes completely--no light at all showing. This makes fitting the rib time consuming (I take about one hour for each rib), but also guarantees that no tension or compression is built into the back. You want the back to basically be the shape that it is on it's own. Imagine removing all the glue from the back at once, you wouldn't want it to spring open at all, just keep it's shape.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dss
Jameel, the documentation of your work is incredible and very inspiring.

I wonder how long it will be before you appear on the television show DIY: Handmade Music? I just happened to catch the last episode going step-by-step through the process of making a dulcimer (previoulsy a guitar and mandolin).

See: Handmade Music

Thanks,

Don

PS. Long time lurker on this site and needed to re-register. Great site, Mike.

Thanks for the nice comments. There are some real oudmakers here in the US that would make great candidiates for that show. Kyvelos, Najarian, Dalkilic. I wish my cable company carried that network. That looks like a show I would be addicted to!

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 05:30 PM

Hey Jameel,

I see in the last picture you posted of the oud that you have a picture of a nahat on a clip board. Are you making an exact replica of that oud? That shamsiyya looks so awesome.

Adnan
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 07:21 PM

Adnan,

I'm using several different elements from this oud, (mostly the different inlay styles) and some from other Nahats. I'm not brave enough to try a shamsiyya like that yet. But I will be trying a bone shamsiyya, just a simpler one. If you think that one is nice, you should see the one on Hamza El Din's Nahat. Whoa!

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 08:14 AM

First, add my commendation for another fine build. Your craftsmanship is superb and your development of new methods is invaluable to all of us.

I believe the original purpose of the mold was to provide a nailing platform to hold the ribs together until the glue set. You can see this in many lute building examples like on Art Robb's website. Examination of the building methods in the workshop pictures on Ronny's Iraqi oud site also shows that they are using the mold just to hold the end blocks. The ribs are then held together with tape. The video of the Egyptian maker reinforces this method, while it appears that he uses a hot iron to remelt the glue possibly to realign the ribs after the build-up.

Even with the use of a mold, the final shape can still vary due to humidity and temperature effects on the ribs. The grain density and direction of the wood in each rib is affected differently, causing the slight asymmetry. I have not seen a perfectly symmetrical oud, by the way and I have seen quite a few ouds. Asymmetry is evident on many old master made instruments, guitars, violins, etc. It's been observed that the pursuit of perfect form has been an outcome of the application of modern fixturing while the old masters didn't concern themselves with shape as much as tonal characteristics.

-great job Jameel, live long and prosper!

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 05:27 PM
Preparing the inlay

The master has spoken.......:bowdown:

Thanks Doc! Much appreciated.

I sliced up the inlay blocks, and got 4 slices from each. I them bent them. The straight sections were done on the iron, then I laid the piece on the oud and pressed down on the end section with a hand-held iron. The glue softens too, it's a fine line between warm enough to bend, and the whole thing falling apart. I taped them in place while they cooled.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 08:17 PM
Inlaying the back

I built a little base for my Dremel Flex Shaft routing tool for routing the inlay recess. First I tacked the inlays in place with just a couple dabs of white Elmer's glue, let that dry for about an hour, then scribed along the edge with an Exacto knife. I removed the inlay peices by heating them slightly with an iron where the glue was and slipping a thin blade underneath to free them. I routed the recess almost to the line, which I then cut up to with a sharp chisel. Since I scribed the outline with the knife, my chisel slipped neatly into the slice and made for a gap-free inlay, unless I slip up, which I did in a couple places if one looks close. I suppose it's good for the ego to have some goof-ups here and there, if they're no so obvious of course. ;)

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 08:21 PM
Video of the inlay

Two of five strips completed.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 10:34 PM

Great Job Jameel :applause::applause::applause:
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 07:23 AM

Hi Jameel :
Can you post more photo of your a little base for my Dremel Flex Shaft routing tool for routing the inlay recess.
I want built one that I have a Dremel
Regards
:applause:

Oud Player
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13

Go To Top