Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are there any Oud instructors in Dortmund, Germany?
Benji
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-12-2010 at 03:06 AM
Are there any Oud instructors in Dortmund, Germany?

Hi all ;

I was wondering if i could find anyone here in Dortmund who knows Oud. So i can ask some questions and perhaps have some sessions with? I speak English and some German and Also Persian! Any help would be highly appreciated!
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-12-2010 at 08:35 AM

Hi Benji,

I live near Dortmund and play oud myself, but I'm still a beginner too ;) ... I started in November last year and only play Rock ... yes, no traditional oud playing in my case.

I heard rumours, that there is an oud teacher somewhere here in the Ruhrgebiet region, but I have to do some research again ... I myself am a self instructor.

Do you already have an oud?

PS: Do you know Dortmund's Jazz Club Domizil? Sometimes there are interesting world music concerts, even with oud ... check their homepage from time to time, for example check THIS event ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Benji
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 01:43 AM

Hi Chris:

I'm sure you still know much more than me:D because i just picked up an Oud and considering my location I'm also trying to learn it by myself. It's been a week that i've received an Al ghawaret Oud through one of my friends as a gift and believe it or not I'm still trying to tune the instrument :)) I know where Dimizil is, i've been to that place a few times, but i've never seen an eastern band or basically anyone who plays eastern style music there! Perhaps we can meet up when you are coming to Dortmund. I almost live in the city center , and would be glad to see you. I ordered some books of the net that I'm receiving either today or tomorrow. I don't want to play Jazz or Rock with Oud, But i guess ultimately that is also nice. :)
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 05:50 AM

Hi again Benji!

Quote: Originally posted by Benji  
... I'm still trying to tune the instrument :)

I tune my oud with a PC microphone and the free software AP-Tuner ... works like a charm, because you can configure any tuning you like and save it.

I use the standard arab tuning CFFAAddggcc.

Quote:

Perhaps we can meet up when you are coming to Dortmund.

Shure we can, but it will need some time ... currently I'm ill ... I have a lumbago (pain in my back) and when I'm back from work and at the weekends I'm happy to lie on the sofa ;) ... it hurts terribly.

It seems it will take 2 or 3 weeks until I'm free of pain and mobile again. But then I would be happy to meet you for a coffee for example.

BTW ... I'm planning to visit the Mohammad Reza Mortazavi concert in the Domizil, because I play framedrum myself.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 09:44 AM

... I'm still trying to tune the instrument :))

I forgot to ask ... do the strings lose their tuning? Or do you have problems with the fine tuning?

BTW, if the oud still has the factory strings, you should consider buying good strings. Matthias, a member of the forum, could help you with the string choice.

Regarding learning material ... THIS DVD is often recommended.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Benji
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-16-2010 at 11:00 AM

Hi again;

No, i think because i had just changed the strings, this was happening. Now it's a bit better. For tuning i use a chromatic tuner and it works fine,,but i tried your tuner and that also works well :)
Factory strings were just too old so i got them changed. And i think I'm gonna order this dvd,, it looks good! thx a lot Chris! I have to work on my technics, and that's the only thing i need to do right now !:D Oh by the way if you are into drums ,, i think you'd like to get your hands on one of those Hang or Hank drums. Check em out on youtube:) they are super cool!
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2010 at 11:38 AM

... i had just changed the strings, this was happening.

Aah, ok ... new strings need to settle a few days.

Quote:
... get your hands on one of those Hang or Hank drums.

Yes, Hang Drums are interesting and remind me a bit of Jamaican steel drums. But currently framedrums hit my nerve ... they are a nice addition to oud and fretless bass.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Benji
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 04:47 AM

You are indeed right. It's been used a lot with Persian Oud in Iran as well. I don't know what's your style of playing it. But this is the Persian style:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1vlwFnzB8&feature=related

take a look. I personally don't like Frame drums though :rolleyes:
Benji
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 04:59 AM

I prefer however the Iranian style Derbeka or as we call it, Tombak. take a look at this one and, see how sounds are clear when one plays it skillfully. It's as if he plays normal notes on any instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_8DCRgi08

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2010 at 08:11 AM

Hi again Benji,

I already knew the first video ... great ... but the second is also very interesting.

But my favorite one is still THIS guy.

I don't know what's your style of playing it.

As a former drummer I developed a different style ... much more European and drums orientated. For me the framedrum is less a solo instrument, but more the driving force in a song, the basic beat deliverer.

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top