Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: OUD / SAROD hybrid instrument
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by luan  
How f <b>shoot</b>, man, this is awesome!
The Sarod sounds awesome! Do you use your fingernail to play in the fingerboard?

Congratulations!

Thanks!
Yes, fingernail technique - and I reinforce with super-glue...

excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 12:10 PM

That thing is doooopppeee! Nice sound, great video clips-

One love!

Tarik
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 04:32 AM

Brilliant! I love the idea, the sound and the creativity behind this instrument. Well done.

I have recently seen a video of a Lavta with drone strings that was pretty amazing too.

I would love to make a long neck Afghan Rubab with 4-5 playable strings, 12 sympathetics and 2-3 drones.
Someday, I hope.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RubabPlayer  
Brilliant! I love the idea, the sound and the creativity behind this instrument. Well done.

I have recently seen a video of a Lavta with drone strings that was pretty amazing too.

I would love to make a long neck Afghan Rubab with 4-5 playable strings, 12 sympathetics and 2-3 drones.
Someday, I hope.

just go for it.... except be prepared to then launch into a series of experiments that will take years...
This is what happened to me - I started with version 1 and now I am beginning version 13!

http://www.edwardpowell.com/rmtar.html

...the problem is that all of these traditional instruments are the way they are because they developed over hundreds of years, and all the resonance modes slowly lined up and got perfectly matched.

Then come along people like us with our creative experimental ideas, and start combining this and that, and then realise that these things don't sound that good because major elements changed which upset the balance of resonance modes. . . . so in order to succeed in this experiment one needs to be prepared to experiment a lot.

Best is to start with very cheap and quick prototypes... and find out fast what works and what doesn't. Wait until you really know it will work before making a full decoration model...

Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:12 AM

That is so impressive, man!!! I bloody love it!!! Matter of fact, I was toying with the idea of putting some sympathetic strings on one of my my ouds (sarod-like), but after seeing this I'll have to revise the project. The sarod-like neck on the oud body (I expect you reinforced it to take the extra pressure of the steel strings), plus 9 sympathetic strings on the top. How about that? The only problem is that I cannot afford it :( .......
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
That is so impressive, man!!! I bloody love it!!! Matter of fact, I was toying with the idea of putting some sympathetic strings on one of my my ouds (sarod-like), but after seeing this I'll have to revise the project. The sarod-like neck on the oud body (I expect you reinforced it to take the extra pressure of the steel strings), plus 9 sympathetic strings on the top. How about that? The only problem is that I cannot afford it :( .......

Thank bro...
Version #9 came out extremely well, and to be honest it is the only instrument that I have ever built that I am totally overly satisfied with. In fact, I am going to build one more version 9 exact copy, and if the tone of this new one comes out equally as good - I am going to build 10 of them at once and sell them for a reasonable price.

The only one weird thing, which might be a major drawback for a lot of players is that this version 9 is tuned to Bb/Eb (which is one semitone higher than arab tuning, and one semitone lower than turkish tuning.

The scale is 61.5cm.

I have tried slightly expanding version 9 to get to arab tuning... but that magic tone didn't quite happen again.

I am pretty sure that making it a bit smaller and 58.5cm would produce great results in turkish tuning... so I need to try this.

If I can find a model that will appeal to a lot of players I will start building them in batches for a low price. Of course I can build to someones custom dream idea - but individual unique instruments are more costly to build.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top