Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: movable bridge
samir
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 11:12 PM
secrets

elie

usualy , makers locate their braces like in the picture..notice the shape of the brace first..
i developed my own theory about the braces,solving the main question of the sound -strength eqilibrum..
so that i got more strength for more vibration..after it was : more strength gives less vibration..dont forget that i am an engineer(hummmmm)..
i could not explain everything using my little English..
but i think that i developed an important way for making and fixing the soundboard..
love to all
samir

oud-samir
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
samir
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 11:19 PM
length

i prefer just 58.5 cm
it is much better for high techniqes players
with 19.5 cm neck

oud-samir
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-30-2004 at 11:29 AM

The first so-called Bashir oud was built by Mohammed Fadel and he based his design
on the classical Italian mandolin. His Bashir oud has a soundboard that is bent and that is for structural reasons. The bent soundboard on Fadel’s oud prevents the soundboard to collapse under the high string pressure due to the short scale of 57cm and the extremely high floating bridge. The Bashir ouds by Fadel are rare since they were made for professional musicians on order and accordingly very few have had a chance to play on them or to see the unique construction. Iraqi makers like Yaroub Fadel, Fawzy Monshed prefer the flat soundboard with some reinforcements that are unique for the Iraqi oud tradition. The floating bridge is not glued but that doesn’t mean that it can be placed wherever you wish.

Best wishes

Ronny
samir
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-30-2004 at 01:21 PM
bent soundboard

hi
the bent sound board may reduce the vibration extremely..it acts like the arc ceilings of old buildings..
i tried this way several times and in one or two directions bending ..
the flat surface vibrates more ..and lives more safety..
thanx for sharing
samir

oud-samir
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-30-2004 at 03:45 PM
Secrets

Hi Samir,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge friend.

Can you give the distances or how you determine these disatnces that you place the braces relative to a reference point such as the end block or the neck block?

Regards,
Elie
samir
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-30-2004 at 09:25 PM
braces braces

hi
no general distances can be used for all ouds.they depend on the sizes of the body , the sound quality required,the way of fixing the soundboard,the length of the string , the kind of bridge used.....etc....
important: the distance between the two braces before and after the bridge is the main one,but!! no general measure too...
a kind of turkish oud braces is attached here,but i dont make like it..

oud-samir
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 04:50 AM

Thanks Samir,

Do you have a formula, a recipe or a procedure that you use to determine where to locate the braces for the different designs? And can you share it with us?

Regards,
Elie
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samir
hi
the bent sound board may reduce the vibration extremely..it acts like the arc ceilings of old buildings..
i tried this way several times and in one or two directions bending ..
the flat surface vibrates more ..and lives more safety..
thanx for sharing
samir

I disagree since many of the first Bashir ouds by Fadel, still are playable after long use of playing with high string tension
and they have all bent soundboards. Their sound is superior most Bashir ouds by other makers that I have came across.

Best wishes

Ronny
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 08:36 PM
Samir

Dear Samir,
I have seen your ouds and they look very interesting. and it seem that you made them very accuratly. I like the way that share the information with other people, speacially, that most of the oud maker they dont share any information about making oud.
Any way, My ouds are made by Mohammad Ajaj from Jober in Damascus and love them. i am windering if i can get your address and contact number, because i am planning to visit syria soon, so i would be nice to visit you and visit your workshop.

Best regards,
dubai244
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top