Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Maqam of the Month... Again ((KURD))
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 02:49 PM

Revaldo & Emad, thanks for your compliments . . . I need to spend more time recording myself. I think it helps me bemore focused.

Revaldo, I recorded myself using a condenser mic on Logic. I also hosted the sound file myself so it's just standard MP3 compression (if I compressed it enough to fit on this board, it souldn't sound too good. . . )
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 04:21 AM

ALLAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Emad, I would tell u this is wonderful, but wonderful falls too short of describing it. I broke into goosebumps, especially in second part. I like how u always start of with an ambiguous intro which misleads most that u are playing Nahawand instead of Kurd and vise versa. Never tried it myself, but I think it is something like "Al Sahl Al Mumtani3" (the unattainable easy). Emad's taksim also contains a big part of bayati, if anyone noticed (revaldo this would be a good thing if u catch it), and it was so integrated that I never noticed that the piece had it actually until the second part started and I was thinking to myself "Now the maqam was kurd, how the hell did we get to bayati there? Ah there, kurd again..." :D Emad, I bow to ur greatness :bowdown: such a storm of emotions on the Oud's strings shalt not go unadmired!! Thanx a lot for the piece, and for ur concern about how life is treating me, I am well, and hope u r ok as well :) As for next maqam (I expect u will post very soon to it) we shall vote, my ideas are bayati (since it is a bit close to kurd) or Ajam (since revaldo awaits an explanation - didnt forget u pal). Hijaz also qualifies, since the Hijaz thread didnt kick off so well... I'll stick in a couple of other maqams, and if anyone would like another maqam not listed to be nominated, all he has to do is simply say so (frredom of speech on forums :D ).

Brian, that piece was great, very calm, and serene, and frankly, there was only one "bad" note (slippery finger no?), and it was barely discerned by my trained ear, so I believe u shouldnt worry about that, coz I enjoyed all 6 mins (wow) of that kurd, simply great in all aspects.

Revaldo :) Thanx for the comments again, I feel overrated when u say so about me (well actually when anyone says so as well), but as long as it is really helping u with ur Oud, I am content :D<---(that's me). As for the explanation, i will record a piece now with another comparison between the maqams Kurd D and Ajam Bb, which is a very good question since notes are the same, only u kick off with Ajam two notes lower. If u are lucky and most vote for Ajam, u'll be hearing lots and lots of ajam and variants next month by great people, such as Emad and Jameel and Brian and the rest of great people on the forum (which I hope will be joined by Lee :) of course u shouldnt be far either).

Lee thanx again for comments, and yes, the punch is the effect of a soft risha (kind of difficult to get used to another in the time being), and the click is even louder before the audio file was converted and compressed (better quality, louder clicks). Hopefully by time the tip will wear out and the clicking would disappear.

All the rest hope you're loving this thread like I do, and hope u'll join in. Peace!!

Yours truly,
Basel :D
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 11:06 PM
Hijaz or Saba maqam

Hello fine people :bowdown:

I thank you Basel for your nice words. Man I wish I am half as good with words. I thank you for helping revaldo too- very good spirit there man.

I would like us to go towards Hijaz or saba maqams - just to go away from kurd for a while. Only if everybody agrees.

I look forward to everybody's playing so soon.

Love to you all

Emad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 10:44 AM

Saba would be a fun challenge . . .

Basel, thanks man. It's great that we have this forum to share and encourage one another. I was working my way through the sound clips backwards, so I just got to yours . . . I'm going to listen to it some more to steal your ideas . . . great phrasing and modulations
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

thumbup.gif posted on 10-23-2004 at 06:53 AM
ha ha

:)) this is a good one Brian :applause::applause::applause:
U are more than welcome to "steal" any idea of mine, not that it is a crime to be punished for (I have lots of relatives who are lawyers, so sueing u wouldnt be much of a problem ;) ). I would actually feel honored that someone as good as u views my humble recordings as great material and selects phrasings from it. I thank u a lot for such compliments, and I do agree that without this forum, life would be a lot duller for an Oudist so let's give credit to the one who really deserves it: Our Webmaster Mike:xtreme::buttrock::xtreme::buttrock:

Emad, words arent enough to describe what I feel, but I try to give a close approximation. U dont need to be good at words to describe ur feelings, u just let ur feelings do all the work.

As for revaldo, I would actually love to help him, someone with potential deserves credit too, and helping him out is more of a delight to me rather than an obligation. Again such thing wouldnt be possible without the efforts of our webmaster to bring us together :applause:

Emad, Brian, I do agree Saba is quite nice and challanging. If I get another opinion or two in favor of Saba, I'll bypass the voting and Saba would be our Maqam of the Month for November. Anyone else for Saba?!

Revaldo, here's the recording I promised u. As u can see, there are some sentences common with kurd on D, but u can feel most of the tones follow the Ajam, since ending sentences arent common with kurd. U are right that u can confuse if u are playing Ajam Bb or Kurd D since they are same on strings (or any instrument):
Ajam Bb (Ajam Ashiran)
Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

Kurd D
------ D Eb F G A Bb C D

U see there is no difference on strings, only in sentences, just remember that Kurd starts of and ends on D, while Ajam even when sentences are similar to Kurd, always finish off two notes lower on Bb. Hope that this helps u out clearing the issue. Any problems? I'm around ;)

Peace y'all!

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. There were some bad notes, hope u dont mind them :D After all no one is perfect.
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

exclamation.gif posted on 10-23-2004 at 06:54 AM
Sorry!

I forgot to attach the recording. here it is
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 12:43 PM

Yeah I second that, thanks to Mike for helping us come together as a community . . . it's a great thing.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 11:12 PM
Wow Basel, that sounded true tarab man

Emad
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top