Okay, the Swedes win . . .

:xtreme:

Best wishes

Ronny
Karim Kadiri
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 03:40 PM

I just read the interview in question and I'm not surprised. Simon is a good friend but we disagree a lot about what makes a great Oud player. It is certainly not speed but rather the ability to move people and keep them hooked from the first to the last note. Anybody that thinks F sting player do not have technical ability should but Said Chraibi's stuff.

Karim Kadiri
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeVaris
Quote:
Originally posted by walkad
Even a deff person can hear that Naseer and Bashir have completely diferents styles. And if he doesnt know about Naseers repertoire than he should shut up.

Yes... a lot of what Simon says in this interview is just not worth commenting on. He's so obviously chauvinistic about his particular style of playing. He's a great player but he's closed off to other approaches/styles - so much so that he clearly doesn't listen to much contemporary playing. Too bad... real innovation comes from people with an open mind!

personally, I love that high "f" string
amarock
Oud Junkie

Mood: musical

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 06:13 PM

Hi my friends
What a passion in that discussion!!
;)
Fist of all Simon is a great player with a style of playing that i know because i am from his region (Israel or Palestine...as everyone want ;)).
I can understand his position about the famous f string because of my teacher Samir Makhoul.
In fact i begun to learn oud alone,by hearing,and because of my poor technical abilities,i decided to add f strings in my oud and then my tuning was F a d g c f.
When i begun to learn with Samir he fist told me that we will not use it because a oud player plays high notes on the fingerboard and it is a good way to
develop technical abilities on oud.After three years of learning...he was right !
But I think that if someone whant to play these notes with f strings,when his rast is on c and not on f,there is nothing wrong!
The most important thing is that you feel good with you playing and no matter what others are thinking about! :wavey:
Bruno
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 07:33 PM
Hello Fine people

dear Ronny,
What was "pretty low" in asking someone to post somthing they play or a nice recording of Shamma? I never thought a simple request would push anyone to say that. Was that your own opinion or someone got you to say that?

I choose to forgive you any way.

walkad,

Thanks for your reply.

I regret joining in this subject.

Regards,
Emad.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sydney
dear Ronny,
What was "pretty low" in asking someone to post somthing they play or a nice recording of Shamma? I never thought a simple request would push anyone to say that. Was that your own opinion or someone got you to say that?

walkad,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Emad.

You are still a pretty low Sydney.

yes you dare to share .

Best wishes

Ronny
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 10:40 PM

Ronny

I still choose to forgive you.

Thank you

Emad
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 12:23 AM

Another one for Shamma's Fans! :D
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 01:11 AM

Quote:
Ronny

I still choose to forgive you.

Thank you

Emad

I forgive you!

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Another one for Shamma's Fans! :D

:D

Best wishes

Ronny
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 06:08 AM

What started out as a very interesting discussion with excellent points from both sides regarding the "f" string, has now unfortunately turned into offensive comments we don't need on these forums. Please refrain from doing this, or else we will have to close this topic.

First off, I want to thank Jameel for the initial posting and link, and also thank Sam for the link to the interview.

Sam, I think you made the best comment regarding the addition of the "f" string when you wrote, "...I think this concept was introduced by oud soloists to increase the range of their ouds." I have seen at least three guys play with a 7 course oud who have NOT added the "f" string due to a lack of technical ability.

As far as the comments Simon made about Naseer Shamma, I think any objective reader can conclude that Simon doesn't have a lot of respect for Naseer's style. My opinion on this is the following: He is free to have any opinions he wants, but as a professional musician it is not "professional" to belittle a fellow oud player like that in a published article. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon as Naseer was guilty of doing something similar when he made a crazy comment about Farid el-Atrache in another online article. Ultimately, I'd much rather listen to these guys playing their ouds than speaking.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 12:39 PM

Hey Mike, you're absolutely right.
I'd rather listen to any musician play than hear him talk . . .

I guess coming from a jazz background, I have a different threshold about what constitutes belittling another musician . . . it's sort of a hazing ritual and we don't take those kind of comments too seriously. It's like when Branford Marsalis said about a particular player that that's why guitars should be banned from jazz . . . by jazz standards, Simon was practically being nice. Maybe he's been hanging out with too many jazz players in Qantara :D
I'm so used to outstanding musicians being far more scathing in their opinions in interviews (keith jarrett and wynton marsalis are about ready for a cage match) that it doesn't faze me. it's still not the best way to go, but artists are people too, and none of them lack flaws. I was just trying to correct what I think is a misunderstanding of what Simon was trying to say about the F string (after all, he praised Kassabgi, Bachir, and Said Chraibi, and likes Charbel Rouhana, though he didn't mention him), and counter what seemed to me to be an overreaction to his comments.
So, sorry if things got out of hand. I hope no one took my comments as personal attacks . . .

Brian
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 01:37 PM

Brian you dont give up dont you :)?

It doesnt matter what background you have, jazz, blues, gregorian chants what Simon said about other musicians and about iraqi oud playing was clear and couldn't be missunderstood.

Anyway, I dont mind discussion with temprament as long as we avoid offending each others (after all I am iraqi, and iraqis cant discuss without getting angry:)).

Mike, I'm very curious, do you have the link to the article that Shamma spoke about Farido?

Regards
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 02:13 PM
Some humor

Here is one for Both camps

PEACE,
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 03:00 PM

Hi Walkad,

Sorry, I don't have the link anymore. This was a heated topic on the old Farido website forum by the way. It was almost exactly like the image Elie put up! :mad: Anyway, maybe somebody else might have that link who used to frequent that website.

Just a quick note: I think Wassim is getting ready to put the site back up again soon. So keep checking in!

Another quick note: There are two new files for Haytham Safia on the MP3 Page.

Take care,
Mike

Rufi
Oud Addict

Mood: Knowlege seeker

[*] posted on 10-26-2004 at 10:15 PM

I thought that some of you Might like to listen to this interview with Naseer Shamma.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1222985

The Truely important thing about art is its expression and it is unimportant to decide who's expression is more valid or better than anothers especially at the level that these two express themselves on thier instrument.
Arrogance and conciet come from an individuals insecurities about themself and thier place in the world.
Hamza El Din Is certainly not the worlds best virtuoso on the oud but his music has touched and inspired people in very deep ways. he is very humble and happy with the blessings he has recieved.
He is a master of expression and a truely wonderful artist.
Thank you all for your thoughtful discussion.
sincerely
Rufie
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 03:31 AM
What the hell??!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny Andersson
Quote:
dear Ronny,

walkad,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Emad.

You are still a pretty low Sydney.

yes you dare to share .

There must be a very good explanation for such remark, Ronny. Such action is quite unwelcome and uncivilized among us in the forums, and I (speaking of myself only) demand to know a good reason to issue such a remark TWICE, for from what I see, there is no obvious reason for such action.

Mike I dunno if this didnt catch your attention, but the fact is it was issued twice. I think the best idea is to remove such comment, especially since it is not accepted in a civilized conversation, and it is an insult to a respectable person here in the forum (my opinion, but after a very careful consideration I can safely say most do think so too), and I demand as a member of the forum that this and all threads should be free from such phrasings and harsh comments to one another. People can save these for other times and places.

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. sorry for the late post, too much studies
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 05:16 AM

Hi Basel,

I actually did address this above. I chose not to delete any comments at the time. I would much rather just end it here, and not demand any explanations. Since the interesting discussion points of this thread are now dead anyway, this topic is now closed.

Mike

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top