Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adel Salameh workshop in the UK, videos
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 01:15 AM
Adel Salameh workshop in the UK, videos

Hi fellow oudist. Please watch these lovely two taqseems played by Adel during his last workshop in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiK426hKQF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9b2IPG6qk
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 02:10 AM

Hi Tariq

Fantastic - I wish I could have been there ... maybe next time. Adel unleashed is a thing of musical wonder :)

Leon
DORADO
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 03:12 AM

Thank you rex2009,

Adel SALAMEH is my favourite player , he is not a musician but an artist who tell us stories .
Bravo Adel ,sincerement!
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 03:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DORADO  
Thank you rex2009,

Adel SALAMEH is my favourite player , he is not a musician but an artist who tell us stories .

Wait, I am confused! Is he an Oud player or is he a poet? Or a bardic sage? Does he know Roald Dahl? He's my favourite story teller. Does he tell these stories in the context of non-movement orientated dance/songs?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I have been regarded as the most sarcastic priest in Ireland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk

To be sure, Adel Salameh is a greatly gifted technician of the Oud, but for me, heart and soul lacking. Just my opinion/observation.
DORADO
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 04:44 AM

Sorry Bodhi ,
that was only my humble feelings .I had the chance to listen to Adel(live)'s playing and i don't feel that he is just a technical player!!!

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 08:26 AM

Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions. Our differences in taste is what makes the world an interesting place. Personally, I find both the craftsmanship of Turkish uds and technical skill of Turkish ud players generally superior to what is found in the Arab World. But, guess what: I mostly listen to Arabic oud recordings and play an Iraqi oud as my primary instrument. It's all about what "speaks" to your soul.

I like Adel's recordings very much, but still feel his first CD--his (only?) solo recording--is by far his best, IMHO: http://www.tower.com/master-oud-adel-salameh-cd/wapi/106927494 I find his playing on this recording his most soulful by far.

I also hope to hear Adel live someday (live on the other side of the world in N.California, USA) and meet him.

Peace out,
"Udi" John
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 12:50 PM

Both ouds are unbelievable. The Brazilian Elias Nahat's oud is a masterpiece, while Tawfiq's is a living legend. To my Eastern ear, this is how an oud should sound like, no matter whether it's played by an accomplished player like Adel Salameh or by any student. Adel is my friend, so I shall restrain my personal opinion about "heart and soul lacking" issue. Adel has thousands of fans who would travel thousands of miles to meet him and hear him playing, with or without "heart and soul". He just "speaks" to them.
This thread should have been titled "Tawfiq & Elias Nahat , competitor cousins", though a half of a century separates between the two ouds. The Brazilian is from the last ouds Elias made in the 1980's, while Tawfiq's is from the 1930's, as much as I can detect.
"Nahat in Brazil" has been for long a very interesting thread here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9897

It would be nice to revive it

Cheers

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 02:09 PM

To my ears his playing is pure heart and soul, alongside his technical brilliance. I love his delicate little phrases and modulations.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 02:14 PM

I'll second the delicacy and poetic use of strong and soft tone.

Leon
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  

I like Adel's recordings very much, but still feel his first CD--his (only?) solo recording--is by far his best, IMHO: http://www.tower.com/master-oud-adel-salameh-cd/wapi/106927494 I find his playing on this recording his most soulful by far.

That is the record I owned. It really didn't do it for me.

I should also add that Arab music generally doesn't "speak" to me, so to Alfaraby, Dorado and Khalid I would like to point out that perhaps the Arab heart string is plucked a different way and that it doesn't resonate with me, that is why I stressed that it was my opinion. I would also say it this way, Beyonce has thousands of fans who would flock to her performances, much the same a Adel Salameh, but again I find the music lacking heart and soul, and it doesn't speak to me either.

...and to Dorado I didn't intend to pick on your post to insult you or belittle your opinion, it just made for a nice joke.:) sorry if it didn't come across.

I should be more delicate on the subject of heart and soul I suppose, like John say "we are all entitled to our opinions. Our differences in taste is what makes the world an interesting place."

I must also add that this is not the first time I have been the only person in a room that doesn't enjoy Adel Salameh's music.

Go To Top