Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Very Unique Sounding Oud
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 06:39 AM
A Very Unique Sounding Oud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T519yMFPFY&t=0s&index=12&am...

Check out this super buzzy oud sound! I've never heard an oud sound like this, is it more the instrument itself or just the recording quality? Pay attention to the way the notes on the D string sustain and vibrate, it sounds almost like a sitar with all the buzz. Is this caused by a low action or string guage or certain kind of neck? Never heard of this player either and I'm very impressed with this Bayati, I've listened to it many times now and thought I'd share since I think it's something special.

Enjoy!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 07:33 AM

This player sounds to me like he has been influenced by the music of Jamil Bashir. He may be using a high tuned oud similar to one Jamil Bashir played, using JM's unique tuning, might be striking the string over the sound hole, using strings that produce a metallic tone, and possibly using a plectrum that reinforces this sort of sound. What I can say with more certainty is that a hefty dose of Industrial Strength Reverb is present on this recording and that this is enhancing the edginess and zing factor.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:17 AM

His nice introductory improvisation in the Iraqi style is followed (at 4:39) by the lovely Uşşak saz semai of the nineteenth-century Turkish ney player Aziz Dede.
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 10:57 AM

Yes Jody I agree it is for sure Iraqi style taqsim, and I appreciate your guesses at what causes this sound. I could definitely do without the reverb, that goes for pretty much any recording. Don't get me started on adding the 'delay/echo' effect, some Persian Tar studio recordings are notorious for ruining the sound of the instrument by adding these fake sounds. What sort of plectrum could reinforce this sort of sound? I can notice a difference when I pluck closer to the soundhole rather than over the pick guard, but not so much that it sounds like this!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chris-Stephens  
Y What sort of plectrum could reinforce this sort of sound? !

A fifty cent piece?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 12:05 PM

A risha made from aluminum?
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 01:17 PM

Can I assume you don't like it then? I don't see how the material of the rishi is going to change the sound up on the fingerboard. It sounds like the strings are gently vibrating against the neck when he presses them down, similar to a japanese shamisen.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chris-Stephens  
Can I assume you don't like it then?

I don't like the sound on the recording. I have no idea what this oud and/or oudist actually sound like.
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 04:21 AM

the other track on the album by the same artist sounds a little different if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHL15MPxKJE&index=11&list=OL...

MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 05:14 AM

This is a fantastic album.

This one is played by asd abdullah, and yes it is an oud, but i agree that it totally sounds like sitar!
No other song on album sounds like this one, it is very unique.
The other tunes by omar naser and amjad mohamad are really great as well.

I am not sure how this sound was achieved whether naturally or artificially. If naturally, it must be some weird hybrid oud made with parts to create such a sound. Else, digital effects which i am not sure would apply here.
One other idea is...I remember vaguely many years ago when i was jamming guitar with some friends which i often did...we would play around to try to make weird sounds on our instruments, and i remember someone coming up with a similar sound. If i recall it was by putting something similar to what Jody says about with aluminum foil...but not as pick but under the strings somehow. I forget exactly but we figured out a way to tuck it under the strings and it buzzed like a steel guitar :) :) Not practical in anyway but we were having fun! :) :) This would only apply to steel strings. Nyl would not buzz with this method, but may work close against a stretched skin of some sort... just some thoughts...

*btw- this link does not work for us in Canada. Disabled for our location i guess...I have to use a workaround {wink} to see it but now that i know what album you refer to(Oud anthology)...
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:01 AM

Very interesting Matt! Im glad you can hear the uniqueness in his oud sound, it's really fascinating to me. I kinda wish mine sounded like that! Perhaps thicker strings would cause the buzzing, lower action, and plucking closer to the sound hole, floating bridge too maybe. I agree the sound is different on the non-wound strings when he is playing the higher notes. It's a shame these two recordings are the only evidence that this player Abdullah Asad even exists! See this 4 year old thread where someone else was looking for info about the players on the album: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=15343

Sorry it's blocked in Canada! I got it through spotify but thought it would be better to link youtube instead since it doesn't require an account. Glad you have a workaround!

Go To Top