Printable Version  
Author: Subject: airline travel with oud
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 7-21-2005 at 08:24 PM
airline travel with oud

Guys,

Any advice on travelling with an oud on a plane? I much prefer to carry it on, rather than check it in. Should I take my soft case and I try to bring it on board, or even try to bring on board with the hard case?

Has anyone tried to carry an oud on board recently?

Many thanks fellas,

Sam
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-21-2005 at 08:47 PM

My sister was able to carry the one she brought from lebanon fine. Just tell them its a priceless instrument that has sentimental value to you. And they will arange something for you. You could fly first class also and leave it at your feet. Depends on you really.
Salam
Samir
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-21-2005 at 08:52 PM

But, if they don't let you take it with you on board, and it is sent into the luggage compartment, does it get pretty messed up? Isn't it really cold in the luggage area, or am I wrong?

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-21-2005 at 09:07 PM

My concern with this when bringing an oud from Lebanon to Australia was that they would disallow the instrument at the door to the aircraft (that sort of thing happens regularly on Australian internal flights). And then they take the thing away from you and send it off to the cargo hold. If it is in its soft case, the instrument is doomed. So I think it is safer to detune it, pack it properly, bless it twice and consign it to the excessively cold, excessively low pressure at high altitude, cargo hold.
There are some useful contributions on this subject at:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1398

Regards,

Greg
ofadel
Oud Maniac

Mood: thinking

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 08:59 AM

My thoughts... I have travelled with a hardshell in the cargo hold and with a softcase in the cabin. Actually, I always get more worried when I have the softcase because I worry that if anything moves in the overhead compartment it will smash the oud. So, I actually prefer to keep the oud in the hardcase in the cargo hold. Never had a problem. And have flown many times with it. Of course, make sure you completely detune the strings.

omar
Renato
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 10:45 AM
oud on airlines...

Hi everyone,
I wanted to share a couple of experiences of mine. I have traveled with my oud 2 times, both taking them on board and storing it in the overhead without consequence.
Last month I was on my way back home to Chile on "LanChile" and they held me up trying, saying it would not fit and that previous LanChile flights had larger compartments. I held my ground, eventually pulling it out of the case for them all to see, when finally someone agreed to put it in the coat closet (usually for the 1st class folks). It fit and only touched the bottom of their coats as they hung.

Unfortunately, the flamenco guitar that was brought to me on American Airlines in June, checked on with the rest of the luggage, came completely smashed, shattered and very dead. There was a slight dent in the side of the hardcase. They are claiming NO responsibility as I didn't report it for 2 weeks when I finally received the guitar. They are washing their hands of it. Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do with them? Do I have any recourse?

I brought a Divan-saz from Turkey on board without a problem, as well as two sazes to Chile with me in the overhead, no problems.

My friend was forced to check on his saz and he watched from the window as the saz went up the conveyor belt and then slide off near the top, crashing to the ground below, in its soft case. The airlines said "sorry, you should have packed it better."

The same guy, 15 years later was forced to put check his saz on, in a hard case, and received it at baggage claim with a cracked neck, right through the case. "sorry, it was you're fault for not buying an extra seat for your instrument".

So, if you check it on, put it in a box that is twice the thickness of the case, with wood reinforcement bars around it and styrofoam, like a little coffin. If it is a case where the pegbox rests on the bottom of the case, try to put foam behind the neck and don't latch the case closed at the top. That is the only safe way, but of course, you can probably get it in the overhead as long as you're the first person to the overhead bin.
Best wishes.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 12:59 PM

I can't speak regarding international travel, but every time I hear about a problem in the US, I ask who the airline was. The answer is almost always "Delta." Delta has no regard for musicians and have treated me and many musicians I know with unbelievable insensitivity and disrespect. Delta was actually sued (and lost) because they made their x-ray machines the exact dimensions of their carry-on size, so that nothing else would even fit throught the x-ray machine (so of course they can't possibly make an exception . . .). The reason they lost was not because of musicians, but it is a benefit to us that their modified x-ray machines were disallowed.

The TSA and the musicians' union (North America) struck a deal that says, basically, that musical instruments don't count as a carry-on when determining the allowable number of carry-on items. So if the airline says you get one item, it means one item besides your instrument. (I posted a pdf of this agreement before . . . it's a handy thing to have). That doesn't mean that they have to let you bring it on, though, if they say it's too big. Call the airline and ask their policy. They'll never guarantee that you can bring it on, but I believe Continental has a policy of accomodating musical instruments whenever possible (given space, type of aircraft, etc.) Delta obviously does not. I don't know about other airlines.
mustafa
Oud Maniac

Mood: oud moud

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 03:38 PM

I'm not a great oud player but I perform and travel often and I consider me and my oud one entity. I dont let it out of my site, that is also because I have a softcase, most people have no sense of the delicacy of the intruments, they often ask to put it in a specific place like upfront but "no way, take my bag or anything else but not my oud". most of the time if you tell them in a tone that is absolute and unyielding they kind of just shrugg their shoulders and say "ok". Anyways thats my expirience, hope it helps
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 04:32 PM

Thanks for all this feedback guys. I was going to bring my hard case, and try to bring it on the plane, however, I think the soft case will increase my chances. I will being travelling to Hartford, CT (for the retreat), so I hope the plane is not full, that will would increase my chances of bringing it on.

Someone also told me to get there early, and explain to the attendant that I will need to get one first, so that I can find a space to store the instrument. That worked on once for me, pre 9/11, coming back from NY.

The only thing I worry about is taking my soft-case and being forced to check it in. (that would be the end of my oud) I heard the chances of them forcing me to do this is low, but you never know.
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 06:09 PM

When I flew with my Nahat to Shaheen's music camp a few years ago I only had a cheap hard case which was too big for overhead and I knew it was curtains for the oud in the cargo hold. I ended up buying my oud a seat. They offer a 1/2 price fee for an instrument. It was a little costly but my oud enjoyed the flight and the bloody mary;). They got me a seat belt extender to put around the case to keep it secure in the seat. Funny but true.

Go To Top