Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new video
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 11:16 AM
new video

Here is a video of my new oud. Iam trying to be more precise with the risha. By holding it a little harder and closer to the tip. The result is pretty good I think. But if you see any other flaws let me know.
Peace out! ( Salam Barra?)
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 02:12 PM

samir
"that was hot" man that was awesome that the next song i wanna learn now you made ti sem so easy
it snt it called alwan or soemthing
what are the notes of rayah
thx
sammy
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 07:39 PM
Wow!

Samir, now your talkin bro. That oud sounds awesome. There is a huge difference between this sound and the one you posted a few days back. I had no idea that oud sounded that awesome. If I had the money, I would order one tomorrow.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 08:34 PM

Thanks bro,
I like the oud a lot.
Only thing its hard to adjust to it still. It has a different scale length then the oud I used for the last 2 years... so its a little harder to adjust. I never painted the spots where the notes went on the other oud but there was groove in the wood on the neck of my older oud and I used it to know where the notes where. Anyways thanks for the kind words bro. Iam planing a trip to the states this sumer like the last week of august. Probably new york,.. but I want to go to California. Only thing is that Iam goin with my gf and she's pulling more towads new york. Either way Iam planing to do oud related stuff so I wonder who I could visit down there to talk ouds. :D
ATL is a little far for me but I'll let you know what's the deal.. maybe we could pull off that oud meeting !!
Peace! SAlam!
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 08:46 PM

Hey Samir,

You are more than welcome anytme. I've got to tell u though, the oud scene in Atlanta is pretty much nonexistant. New York is an incredible place to visit though. I visited for the first time last christmas and I've got to say that it was one of the coolest places I've been. Can't say much about California cause i've never been there but i'm sure you will find plenty of oud players there.

regards,
Adnan
DJCrabtree
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 05:32 AM

Hi Samir,

That was lovely, and your oud has such a warm, rich tone. Congratulations.

David
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 02:05 PM

thank you
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 12:18 PM

Here is a video for Elie Yammine playing his oud. Just would like to mention that the strings were put on 30 mins before I shot this video. And I think he did a good job to come as close as possible with his ear. It sounds great but the strings come untuned. I wasnt shure If I should post it or not but his playing is pretty good and it shows a bit of the

http://rapidshare.de/files/3655591/MVI_1443.AVI.html

Enjoy cheers
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 04:14 PM

hety samir whats goin on
samir the movie is not working can u send it to me thx
thx sammy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 08:52 PM

Its working Sammy, The thing is its a huge file (40 megs) so Its posted on a site. Go all the way down and click free to download.
peace
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Only thing its hard to adjust to it still. It has a different scale length then the oud I used for the last 2 years... so its a little harder to adjust. I never painted the spots where the notes went on the other oud but there was groove in the wood on the neck of my older oud and I used it to know where the notes where. ...

Nice looking and sounding Oud Samir, Mubrook. As for the scale and notes locations, I have posted how you can calculate these locations. So if you do this calculation maybe Mr. Elie (the oud maker) can place tiny dots inlaid on the upper edge of the neck on the oud like you see done on guitars. If you are interested I can do the calculation for you if tell me what the scale length is, that is the vibrating length of the string, distance from where you tie under the string at the bridge and the first point the string touches at the nut facing the sound hole.

Alf mubrook buddy.

Elie Riachi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 12:15 AM

Merci ktir ya Leello,
the string length is roughly 60.5cm
if thats of any help :)
There is already inlay work on the side of the oud. like a repetive pattern. with the locations your formula gives me. I'll be able to associate wich peice of inlay is above wich note. Thanks a lot.
Samir
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Merci ktir ya Leello,
the string length is roughly 60.5cm
Samir

Here are the locations of the notes in half steps for the 60.5 cm scale length. The specified distances are from the nut.

All the best buddy.

Elie
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 07:50 PM

did you do this with the VisualBasic editor?
just wonderin? what does the SUB logarithm looks like?
or is it just a Exel formula?

Thanks soo much Elie.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-10-2005 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
did you do this with the Visual Basic editor?
just wonderin? what does the SUB logarithm looks like?
or is it just a Exel formula?

Thanks soo much Elie.

Hello SamirCanada,

The sub logarithm is: grilled dark rye bread, shaved smoked ham, more ham, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. Top with spicy brown mustard and Tabasco sauce hold the mayo :)) Just joking.

I used the simple excel formula approach. I haven't evolved into the visual or scripting age yet. When I took programming (BASIC and FORTRAN) we were just switching from punch cards, in fact the books still showed the code in punched cards.

You know you can verify these locations by using a chromatic tuner (I tune my instruments with this http://www.music123.com/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner-i70341.music and use a clip on pickup such as this http://www.music123.com/Peterson-Clip-on-Pick-Up-i84958.music clipped on one of the pegs for an oud.) Let me know how it works out buddy.

Elie
Gabriel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-12-2005 at 09:50 PM

:applause::applause::applause:
i have been looking for this song for a long time could you tell me where to find it?
what is you tuning?
Thank you for the video
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 05:24 AM

Its called : Ya rayah
its by singers: Rachid taha, Faudel and khaled
cheers.
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 10:04 PM

Hi, The sound of your playing is impressive.
Your oud seems to have longer neck than most of the oud I saw. Do you have frets on the neck? The ouds I saw do nothave frets (in a way like cello). Just curious to know if there is fretted ouds.
Paul
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:31 AM

Thanks you Paul,
The oud I have is a syrian style oud. The fingerboard is made of bone and inlayed with rosewood. Its also longer the the usual fingerboard as it goes down into the rosette. The scale is 60cm about so thats along the lines of a arabic oud. It sounds verry arabic with a strong deep bass sound and not too much "echo". Ouds have absoulutly no frets. Some people use tied frets on there ouds but then I dont think it should be called a oud anymore.
It defeats the purpuose of having a fretless fingerboard to be able to play quartertones and to use finger sliding.
Paul007
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-22-2005 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks you Paul,
The oud I have is a syrian style oud. The fingerboard is made of bone and inlayed with rosewood. Its also longer the the usual fingerboard as it goes down into the rosette. The scale is 60cm about so thats along the lines of a arabic oud. It sounds verry arabic with a strong deep bass sound and not too much "echo". Ouds have absoulutly no frets. Some people use tied frets on there ouds but then I dont think it should be called a oud anymore.
It defeats the purpuose of having a fretless fingerboard to be able to play quartertones and to use finger sliding.

Thank you, Samir. That is good to know. I have post a question regarding the historical development of the oud and the difference of ouds according to countries in another thread.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2472
There are two pictures of the Tang Dynasty pipa of China which looks similar to the oud of today. It is believed that it might be brought to China through the silk road.
Maybe you can give me some more clues.
Thanks.
Paul

Paul
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 08:12 AM

Hey Paul,
I wouldnt introduce you into wrong. There is quite a few sites that speaks about the oud history. You will find that the oud became a lute and other instruments when is came over with the Mores (arabs) to espaƱa. To this day cities like Alhambra for instance remain verry arab influenced. Before any of this Iam not shure where the oud comes from.
Sorry...
Samir
amfuente
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 08:02 AM

I really like your playing and thanks for the Elie Yammine video. May I ask how you get your video file under 1meg?
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Here is a video of my new oud. Iam trying to be more precise with the risha. By holding it a little harder and closer to the tip. The result is pretty good I think. But if you see any other flaws let me know.
Peace out! ( Salam Barra?)

Afarem alyk that was a very nice video ,You play the oud very good.Salamat Samir,California
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Here is a video for Elie Yammine playing his oud. Just would like to mention that the strings were put on 30 mins before I shot this video. And I think he did a good job to come as close as possible with his ear. It sounds great but the strings come untuned. I wasnt shure If I should post it or not but his playing is pretty good and it shows a bit of the

http://rapidshare.de/files/3655591/MVI_1443.AVI.html

Enjoy cheers

:applause: What a beautiful Oud. It is tastefully inlaid WOW. And, it has a very strong and lasting sound. Great work Master Oud Maker Yamine. Thanks for sharing Samir.

Elie Riachi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 01:03 PM

Thanks Elie.
The oud is for sale if you wish
Let me know if your interested and I'll get in touch with Estez Elie
Woh..! to many Elies

After some members requested me to do so. Iam posting a close up of the fingerboard to help. Thats the only thing I can do, Iam sorry for the people that requested a music sheet I dont have one.

Go To Top