Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Oud/Barbat in Iran
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 08:01 AM

Sorry, Peyman, I missed that part. This is an interesting thread. Thanks a lot for the information.

Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 09:34 AM

Peyman,

Thanks for all that information! I had no idea that the Mansoor Nariman wasn't the same individual as the luthier...

Mansoor Nariman has a score book out called (in English, at least) "Pieces for Lute). A friend of mine picked me up a copy last time she went home to Tehran. If I can find a scanner, I'll post one of the piece in the score section.

Do you, or anyone else on the forum, know if there's a recording of the complete radif with oud/barbat? I have one set that has a few gushees performed on oud, but the majority of it is tar/setar/kemancheh/santur/ney.

All the best,
William
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 09:37 AM

I forget to ask: Does anyone have the book by Hossein Behroozia-Nia? I'm not certain of the title, but I think it's an overview of the barbat and some scores. It's not listed on his web-site, but I've seen it listed elsewhere.

WmD.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 10:44 AM

You're welcome. To my knowledge a specific radif recording for oud/barbat doesn't exist.
If you're interested in the radif and dastgah you should take a look at "The Dastgah Concept in Persian Music," by Farhat, available in Amazon. It isn't written for a specific instrument. It's very comprehensive.
I have one of Behrooznia's books. It's the score for Koohestan, one of his barbat albums, based on folk melodies. The other one, 10 pieces for the barbat is new, based on his other album 'midnight sun.'
http://www.iranhmusic.com/service.aspx?id=8
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 10:56 AM

I have a CD by Hossein Farjami called "Traditional Folk Music From Iran". The title is a bit misleading, as the compositions are mostly his. He mainly plays santoor, but also plays oud on a couple of cuts. It's got some pretty cool tunes on it. He lives in London, I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001IMD/ref=m_art_...

Nathan
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 05:01 PM

peyman, yes, Mr. Ghanbari made (he doesnt any more) ouds as well. infact, he is given credit for the long necked barbat. also, he uses varnished wood for a face which in my opinnion is better because the face doesnt get dirty then and it doesnt affect the quality of the sound. His ouds still have a beautiful echo (listen to Ostad behroozinia's later recordings on the long necked barbat).

next, WMd lets make a trade. I can scan some of the gushehs from my radif books (you tell me if you want mirza abdollah, hosseingholi or maaroufi) as well as any piece which you want and inreturn you scan and put up some (if not all??) the pieces by mansoor nariman?

lastly, last year i read an interview done with mr. nariman where he mentioned that he is working on a barbat version of radife musa maroufi where the gushehs have been rewritten to be more suitable when played by the oud. (This is the standard radif book that he uses to teach out of.)
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 08:05 AM

I thought the long necked barbat was by Mohammadi from Esfehan, because of an interview with Behrooznia where he mentioned the Mohammadi's building him ouds. I am curious to know how many ouds Ghanbari has ever made.
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 09:09 AM

no, mohamamdi in esfahan is one of ghanbair's students. His workshop is farily new. Because of the reasonable prices and the quality of the work, ostad behroozinia refers people to mohammadi. (I bought a barbat from him 5 months ago for a million toman)
I dont know exactly how many ouds Mr. Ghanbari has made I know the oud Ostad behroozinia performs on is made by him (earlier this year) Also I know he made a couple of ouds with a skin top on them as well. Here is a couple of pictures of them on a website of another one of Mr. Behroozinia's students:
http://www.oudmajid.com/ouds.html
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 12:20 PM

I didn't realize these ouds were ghanbaris. I had seen the site. I am curious to know what the skin top sounds like. There are setars made by Peymani that are partially covered with skin (gharibaneh). There is also sallaneh played by Alizadeh in one of his albums. It's stringed like a tar but with 6 courses (12 strings total) and is played with the nails.
http://www.persianartmusic.com/images/News/Salaneh.JPG
It looks a lot like a lavta.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PSab...I know the oud Ostad behroozinia performs on is made by him ....
http://www.oudmajid.com/ouds.html

The Barbat Behrouzinia plays is unlike any shape I've seen. He told me it was from a historical painting, but I haven't seen any painting resembling this instrument. Does anyone know the origin of this design?

Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 09:16 AM

I am curious to learn more about this too. I posted my thoughts in this thread:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2472#pid194...
Interpretations of ancient paintings vary so much. This picture shows a barbat too:
http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/54_folder/54_photos/5...
The middle instrument. I think it's the closest thing to pictures I have seen (I have seen a lot of old persian paintings because my father is a painter and he has many books,) but I have never seen a barbat that looks like Mr. Behrooznia's in any picture. Mr Behrooznia's instrument looks like a lavta. In one interview he said that the long neck allows him to have access to higher notes. His original instrument was the tar and he picked the oud secondary. Maybe the longer neck suits his original training better. His instrument has a great sound too. Next time he comes for a tour on the east coast, I'll try to find out more directly from him.
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 07:10 PM

I talked to ostad behroozinia today, and asked him specifically which paintings he was talking about. he showed me quite a lot pictures of barbats (very similar to that which peyman had posted) that had a small body and a long neck. He also showed me a few pictures of european lutes (which come from the barbat) which looked exactly as the current "long necked" barbat recreated by Mr. Ghanbari except they had frets. I guess the point is that before the arab invasion of iran, this instrument had a smaller body and a longer neck, Once the arabs invaded and took this instrument back to arabia, the body of this instrument became bigger and the neck became smaller. He also commented on masjedeh Jomeh (an old mosque) in esfahan which has drawings of persian players and the oud shown in this mosque is similar to that recreated by Mr. Ghanbari. Also works of the persian musician Zaryab (known in spain as ziryab) defend this claim.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 02:21 PM

Thanks PSab. Do you live in canada to be able to be close to Mr Behrooznia?
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:10 PM

I live in vancouver. :)
Mortys
Oud Junkie

Mood: As happy as Oud face

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 01:56 AM

Hi,
I'm really new to this webtalk. It looks cool and nice discussions about iranian barbat.
It is a long time that i wanted to have a professional barbat, like 5 years, that was actually the begining of my research about the oud- and barbat makers in Iran.
To make a long story short, finally a year ago i came after who are the best oud- and barbat makers in Iran.
I have one barbat made by Mohammadi bros, fully ornated. It is a master piece of art. It took him a year to have it finished. According to him, this barbat is the best one he's ever made, Ostad Behroozinia has also got two Barbats made by him, but less ornated as this one.
Now i officially work with barbat makers in Iran to promote iranian instrument-making art.
Ofcourse, any good and professional instrument is not cheap, and that is okay, 'cause it is an art.
Like acoustic or classic guitars or other professional instrument.
Here comes some pics of my beloved Barbat.
The sound chamber is Indian rosewood, and the inlays art called in farsi MEHRKARI, is of brass, walnut-, maple-,cocobolo-, and african black wood. Sound board is Bavarian spruce, Walnut neck, and ebony fretboard and tuning pegs.
Heavenly sound!!!
Hope once i can play good, to let you hear it.
Enjoy
Mortys
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 02:17 AM

Here comes some more pics.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 03:14 AM

Wow ... absolutely magical - I need a sit down and a cup of tea after looking at that.

Leon:)

I don't mean to appear rude but what cost was this amazing instrument??
Mortys
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 03:27 AM

Well, as i mentioned before it is not cheap. The actual price is like € 4500.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 12:10 PM

I'm not surprised - it is amazing as I would imagine the sound is ... any chance of a sound file:applause:

play well

Leon
siro
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudy

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 10:47 AM

hi dear mortys
i think you had buy it very expensive,why:shrug:?
in this barbat i see usual materils plus mohrkari i have heard the sound of mohamadi bros instrument(i had play on it) they have nothing special for that price.
you can ask mr behroozinia and mr arsalan kamkar and mr firoozi about barbats and ouds wich mr amjad moradi makes,i think its much diffrence between mohamadi and moradis instrument moradis instruments are much better and have lower prices.

good luck:)
Mortys
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2009 at 09:52 PM

Well, thanx for your info.
But what do you mean by nothing special? I've played lots of different oud and barbats in Iran made by dif. makers, i found by mohhammadi the best and besides his eye for details in making and finishing instruments is just perfect.
And the sound is also superior! and i think the price is absoutely worth it. It is customshop Barbat man with out-numbered inlays. How much do you pay for a customshop Gibson acoustics? Is that then realistic? Why do we make our own arts worthless?
Bytheway, this is no mass production factory.

Anyway thanx again.
siro
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudy

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 03:49 AM

hi dear mortys
you can search for the ouds wich the great oud makers around the world are making and some old ouds wich number one musicians are using in their professional records and concerts,and you will see what i mean.anyway as you wish if you like it an it makes you happy good for me i am happy too bro,
goodluck
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 06:22 PM

...yes, but the point is that ouds are grossly underpriced instruments, and I sincerely take my hat off to a man who is willing to pay what an instrument is worth, rather than simply what he can get it for.

Bravo!

ps. Ouds are underpriced for the same reason why Chinese goods are underpriced - why - because of human exploitation. I have witnessed this first hand, and it is shocking. Even in Istanbul, talented instrument makers working 12hours a day 6 days a week for perhaps 60Euros a week. Getting about 1 Euro/hour. Wages in Egypt are much lower, and I hate to think what Chinese and Indian workers get.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 07:51 PM
Historical Barbats by M. Arafati

I recently visited Iran and have a video and some pics with Mohammed Arafati. He has been building historical Barbats basd on archeological artifacts from a Henry Farmer book on Historical Musical Instruments.
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/droud/Arafati/

Mortys
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-19-2009 at 02:31 AM

Dear Richard,

How did you like the sound and playability of Arafati ouds/Barbats?
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top