Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Abdo Nahat Project
Hosam
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 08:00 PM

Here I am thickness sanding the strips using luthier's friend station in drill press. With this setup I was able to be accurate to 0.1 mm, not bad at all.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 08:01 PM

Gluing the strips together using vacuum press jig for uniform clamping pressure and because I was too lazy to clamp all those strips!
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 08:03 PM

hey hosam
I am happy that yr alright and its nice that u jumped back and continuing yr oud cant wait to see the end
thx sammy p.s welcome back

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 08:03 PM

I cut some extra strips and used different kinds of wood.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2007 at 08:04 PM

Here are five different patterns out of seven that Nahat used on that oud. Two more to go.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 06:58 AM

Greetings Hosam - as a newcomer to this incredible Forum but one who is located at the far end of a telephone network with only a dial up connection for internet access, it is taking me quite some time to work through all of the project postings in detail. Simply downloading a single page of images can take what seems like forever at times. However, I seem to learn something new at each visit.
This morning I had a look at your project for the first time and am in awe that you have taken on this project to copy such a beautiful oud - but I can understand where you get the motivation that will, in turn,ensure successful completion of this ambitious project. I trust that you will soon recover fully from your recent unfortunate accident and that this will not hamper progress in the longer term.
Jameel posted a detailed image of the rosette (sham?) design earlier and I was wondering if there is an English translation of the Arabic text so intricately woven into the design? I can see that the design is made up of a number of panels of text with a border of numerals in ascending order, set anticlockwise, around the edge but, not being able to read Arabic calligraphy, I can only admire the overall visual appearance at present. Is the Arabic text read inwards from the outside towards the centre or outwards from the centre - clockwise or anticlockwise? Any help to resolve my ignorance in this matter would be appreciated.

Good luck
John
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 01:12 PM

Nice tools, nice progress, nice inlay blanks. Nice everything. I'm really looking forward to seeing you start rolling on this again. That Festool saw is really slick.

I think that geomtric pattern could spring from a whole bunch of different base-patterns. I think the bigger issue is making them on that scale, and if one wanted to, end up with face grain showing. Now that's the trick! I'm not brave enough yet! Go Hosam!

riadh.3oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 03:11 PM

i am very happy to view that you continu you project
good luck my friend
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 2-1-2007 at 11:15 PM

Hosam!!! we need some updates! I just got into your project- cant wait habibi-

tarik
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 06:49 AM

Thanks everyone. I am excited to get back at this project too! I need your help to complete it, so for those of you who have been watching, come on guys participate and help me make a better oud.

John, the Shamsiyah calligraphy read anticlockwise inwards from the outside towards the centre. The two outer circles have the number and the names of the Arabic notes. The inner circles have the names of the most common maqams, the most inner circle have the name Abdo Nahat & sons written along with phrase Absolute Yekah. Here is a list of the 48 Arabic notes that was previously posted here in the forums. There are some note names that are different than what was written on the Shamsiyah. The last note for instance (number 48) reads Sahm on the list but was written Gawab Nawa on the Shamsiyah which I believe is just another name for the same note.

Jameel, I could come up with only one single square grid that when repeated will fill the plane for the whole pattern. There are many ways to come up with the whole pattern using two or more grids put together.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 06:58 AM

I strated cutting the inlay tiles for the Shams, edge binding and the neck tiles. I used this miter box and a razor saw.
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:03 AM

Edge tiles
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:06 AM

There are 144 tiles for the shams alone, so 24 hours later... still cutting the tiles
Hosam
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:17 AM

I need to make another miter box for the 22.5 degree angle cuts. I also started making the tiles for the geometrical inlay pattern. This is really small, the walnut square strip edge is only 1.6 mm. I am not satisfied with the octagonal strips, I will need to do them again.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 03:29 PM

Thanks for the translation of the calligraphy in the rosette Hosam - much appreciated. I really should make the effort to learn Arabic as well as the complexities of oud musical theory!
Glad to see that work on your project is proceeding well. It will be fantastic when completed.
All the best.
John
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 04:56 PM

Nice progress Hosam. I bet your fingers are getting a bit sore eh? Especially the left hand. Mine do. Those Exacto and Zona tools are pretty nice, but I found the kerf in the aluminum miter box a bit too wide, and after lots of tiles it gets chewed up. I found a little plastic one (might be the Exacto, dont remember) orange in color that I could saw my own kerf into for a perfect fit. It gets chewed up too, but I just make another kerf when it does. There is a tiny miter box on the market that friend send me that uses jewelers circular saw blades. I havent bought one yet, but I'll post some info when I do.

chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 3-31-2007 at 10:06 PM

thanks for shring all this ya Hosam...

enjoy
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top