Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: best way to amplify the Oud...
jamloun
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 03:02 AM
best way to amplify the Oud...

This question might have been already discussed in this forum, so sorry in advance if I'm bringing up an old and resolved subject!

I'm looking for advice on oud mic'ing solutions for a live performance? Specifically, for a loud stage environment, not a oud solo set, say for example, you have keyborads, an E-guitar and a drum-machine all palying at the same time as the Oud. The first attempts to get rid of feedback caused by the "noisy" surrounding have not been very satisfactory. :shrug:

All information/suggestions on the possible options for amplifying the Oud on stage in such an environment would be welcome! :applause:

Thanks!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 12:30 PM

welcome to the forum jamloun! yes, this topic has been covered in this forum. If you do some searches you will no doubt come up with a lot of good info. :)

here are some good threads to get stuck into-

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4972

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6398

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6147
jamloun
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 12:24 PM

Thanx Matthew!

Exactly what I was looking for. It sparks a number of questions, but I guess I'll go post them on the huge pickup thread, to keep things organized ;-)

Thanks again for the quick response!
alibaba
Oud Maniac

Mood: sheet music!!!

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 03:17 PM

get an electric oud
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 10:20 PM

The ideal solution for me was a Najarian electric oud. From the front it looks like an accoustic oud, a Karibyan to be exact, but it has a flat back like an electric guitar. You can stand up with it too because it has a strap arrangement nthat will allow this. It sounds very close to an accoustic oud and it will allow low end which any accoustic oud amplified any other way will not unless you stuff the entire instrument with foam rubber. Not a lovely sound. The other alternative is a Najarian bridge on an accoustic oud. Mr. Faruk Turunz makes a bridge with a pickup in it for some of his ouds but I've never heard one.

The other thing about a Najarian electric is that you can tune down as low as you want and it will still sound good. I have played with a low B on the bottom and it is absolutely earth-shaking, food digesting! I've used mine as a bass. Najarian's pickup in his bridges is not a Fishman but his own design. You want to be able to turn up as loud as you want and still sound good get a Najarian Electric. D.L.
jamloun
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 01:40 AM

Thanks Alibab & Lintfree for the advice...

I will probably try our an e-Oud at some point, but for my immediate needs I have to find a way of amplifying my Oud with a mic solution such as the AKG C 411 L (+B29)...

I heard that the AKG C411 might not be very feedback-proof, that is a little annoying because I'll be playing in a noisy environment (piano, sample, drum loops and E-Guitar)...

When I actually got to the shop to buy the C411 yesterday, I was told they are currently out of stock on the B29 and they tried to talk me into buying the "Audio Technica ATM 350", which is twice the price but which -they claim- I could also use with my percussion instruments... On the specs it's actually suggested for use with brass, toms, reeds, violin...the guy at the store uses it for his guitar...

Audio Technica ATM 350 mic

Question: has anyone used an "Audio Technica ATM 350" microphone set-up with a Oud ??? How does it compare to the AKG C 411 solution and do you know whether feedback is going to be a real problem with either of these mics?

I'll go post this question on the main pickups/preamp thread...maybe we should keep the discussion there...

Go To Top