Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Pyramid lute strings
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 01:37 PM
Pyramid lute strings

Just to know two things.

1) The code of a pyramid lute wound string, i.e 1111 or 909Al, what does it represent?
2) For a given thickness of a wound string (i.e 0.4mm), how to find the proper code?
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 01:48 PM

hi oud freak- you can contact Max at Pyramid strings for all your pyramid oud string questions- he's very friendly and I'm sure will supply you all the info you require.
"Pyramid Strings" <pyramid@junger.de>
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 05:16 AM

Before contacting 'Pyramid' - have you done a search of this forum? There is a lot of information about Pyramid strings including a set of string tension tables that will enable you to determine (if you do not have the Pyramid string calculator slide rule) - for a given string length and required string tension - the string code that you need. The code Al for example means Aluminium - the material of the wire winding used to cover the nylon filament core of the string.

The key word for your search should be "Pyramid Strings"
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 01:40 PM

Does pyramid makes 100% gut strings??

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 03:27 PM

Pyramid do make gut strings - the trebles being 100% gut - but the basses are likely gut (or silk?) core with metal windings. This can be checked out by reference to their Historical Strings catalogue (that I do not have to hand immediately). Will look it up when I have a moment
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 10:51 PM

Hi all,
I've recently bought new pyramid strings for my oud, and I really don't like them. The sound is not that good, the strings are not really smooth, they are quite thick and not easy to play. I checked the references and here are the strings I got: N° 665 201 (or set Super Aoud 11-string # 665/11). But the previous pyramid I had were really great, and I notice many people have thiner pyramid strings, so I wonder which model it is. Does anybody can advise me on the precise model I should buy? Thanks!
Benjamin
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 02:38 AM

Thanks dear Oud Freak,
So what do you and other members of the forum recommend me to buy for my oud, I mean which reference or codes of pyramid strings I should look for? (I have a Sukar oud if it can help)
Regards
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 03:44 AM

I just had a very wonderful and successful ud string buying experience in New York City with Haig Manoukian. He carries strings by several manufacturers including Pyramid.

Basically if you were to get in touch with him, tell him your tuning (Arabic variations or Turkish variations, doesn't matter, he's aware of it all) and he can help you figure out which strings you can use.

Since you may be in France it could be worth it for you to by from an American and have them shipped what with the ridiculously low dollar these days.

if you want his contact info just let me know via u2u.

best,
Adam
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 05:06 AM

Oud Freak - why are you particularly interested in the diameters of the Pyramid wound strings? Just curious.
I am not sure if Pyramid make custom lute (or oud) strings as their manufactured range is very extensive and should cover most needs.

Zalzal - I have just checked the Pyramid Historical string catalogue and they list gut strings mostly for bowed instruments. The trebles, of course, are 100% gut and the basses are solid gut core with either aluminium or silver plated copper wire windings.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 07:28 AM
OT: to adam

hey adam, are you still in NY? you playing anywhere?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 10:45 AM

jdowning... I change the question : let's take for example code 1111
Does pyramid make two or more strings 1111 (for example) with different properties? (thickness and so)? More simple : are all the 1111 identical?

Logically (maybe) a single code represents a string with unique specific properties (for example the 1111 represents a pyramid string of 0.3 mm thickness and a given tension for a given tuning and a given vibrating length). If so, then my question is totally justified, and a potential client is entitled to have the information about the lute strings he wants to buy.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 10:48 AM

The d'addario strings for oud have their specifications (thickness) written on the pack of the string set. Why does pyramid want to be much more complicated and unclear?
Matthias
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:30 AM

Hello all,

about the pyramid oud strings I must say, that you should use for professional instruments only the fine lute strings. The ready sets from pyramid ( 650 ... ), are not those that are dedicated to use on a good instruments.

Each producer has his own system to give their strings a number. Each number represents a single strings which gives a certain tension with a given note and string length. The great varieties you will have with that lot of different strings from Pyramid you can see in my collection of oud string sets that I have done. You will find this PDF file for download on my website.

Finally I want to remark, that you can get all Pyramid strings directly from me, shipped to whereever you live. On stock I do have the Aquila strings too, which I like to use on my instruments very much. They give a real warm and singing sound.

So if someone has specific questions, please send them to me.

Regards Matthias

p.s. If someone will visit Haig soon, please transmitt to him my best wishes. I had here with hin a wonderful concert with the groop "TRANSITION" last october. Don't miss any concert if you have the chance to visit one!

Matthias Wagner
lutes - ouds - guitars & music-strings onlineshop
http://www.lutes-strings.de ( instruments )
http://www.music-strings.de ( strings )
http://www.facebook.com/Matth.Wagner
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ 9th Oriental music-summeracademy 1.8. - 4. 8. 2019
+ http://www.oriental-music-summeracademy.de
+ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WC3bzeF38yuVfMGB8T1Vg/videos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 01:38 PM

Oud Freak - of course each Pyramid string code number must uniquely define only one string having specific properties. When I place a repeat order for strings with Pyramid they had better be consistent (and are)!

For a compound string, the measured outside diameter does not mean very much - which is likely why Pyramid do not give the diameters of each of their coded strings. I have not done so but I imagine that if I measured the variety of Pyramid overspun strings that I have in stock, I would find that several strings with different code numbers would have the same diameters.
The finished outside diameter of a given compound string depends, of course, upon a number of factors including the core diameter and density (solid or filament wound), the wire diameter and density, the tension on the core in the string winding machine (causing the core to stretch and shrink in diameter), the tension on the wire during the winding process which may shrink the wire diameter and/or distort the wire cross section from circular and which may cause the wire to embed in the core, and the angle of feed of the wire which affects the degree of flattening of each of the coils of the wire rubbing against each other.
The physical string diameter of an overspun string cannot be used in the usual basic mathematical relationship for string calculations applicable to plain cylindrical strings. An "equivalent" diameter - arrived at by experimentation and experience by the string maker - must be used instead. Perhaps this is the "string diameter" provided by d'addario? The Pyramid approach is to provide free tension tables as well as offering a low cost slide rule to help customers avoid any unnecessary complications in string selection which would otherwise require tedious and mundane calculation - and scope for error.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:29 PM

Thank you Jdowning for all this detailed explanation. I'll not hesitate asking you about any pyramid details. Regards
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:43 PM

Benjamin,
Yesterday night I tried replying you by a long detailed post but the connection dumped me!
Anyway, as for your sukkar oud, I also tried pyramid oud strings on two succar ouds I previously owned. They sounded ok but not that particular. In fact it is a matter of taste. Ouds are like a human body. No human body looks good in all kind of clothes, this is the same for ouds and oud strings.

As for sukkar ouds, Mr. Sukkar delivers a whole package at an affordable price, which is made of:
The oud+a cover+a plectrum that makes the oud sound good and allow a good playability.
His ouds are multi-purpose ones (passe partout), rather solid and ok looking, without excessive decoration and rainbow colors.
The strings delivered with the oud are not of such a good quality but they surprisingly offer the oud a nice deep and warm sound. Much better indeed that the sound delivered when other good quality strings are used.
My advice for you is that you try to get a string set from MR. Sukkar himself. Of course you know his website is http://www.oudsukar.com, a simple and concise web site, made for information purposes and not show off.
Mr. Sukkar has talented workers in his workshop, which allow him to produce relatively high quantities of ouds, bouzoks, nash2at kar, qanouns and so... He is the thinking head and the designer. The ouds are assembled and manufactured by his gifted workers who do a good job. Unfortunately most of his ouds do not carry his touch. Unlike the greatest Fadi Matta who makes his excellent ouds from A to Z with his own hands.
I consequently advice you to get in contact with Mr. Ibrahim Sukkar, he is a nice and modest person.
Regards
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 09:41 AM

for those who have an interest in string technology beyond what this or that string manufacturer can supply, an interesting article covering overspun string calculations was published in FoMRHI in October 1978 - Comm 163 "Overspun String Calculations" by Segerman and Abbott. Those who do not have access to FoMRHI publications can obtain reprints of this (as well as a host of other articles by historical stringmaker and early instrument researcher Eph Segerman) which may be purchased at nominal cost from NRI Instruments at http://www.nrinstruments.demon.co.uk
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 03:40 AM

Jdowning,
Thanks for all the information. I would like not to take the problem from its end and solution.
What is according to you, the PYRAMID LUTE STRINGS to be chosen from their catalog for a 58.5cm vibrating length on a floating bridge oud, for similar sounds generated by Nassir CHamma, Ahmad EL Khatib , Mounir Bachir...
Regards
PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 04:32 AM

For the past 8 months, I have used guitar strings (for the trebles only) rather than oud strings. They are thicker (by a minute amount) which gives the instrument a fuller sound and a better balance between the bases and the trebles (I often found that as I came down the trebles the sound quality dropped but since I have switched, I find a better louder sound. )
You may wish to try this.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 05:14 AM

thanks for the tip Psab! what make guitar strings do you use?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 05:17 AM

Oud Freak - that is for your ear to determine not mine!
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oud Freak
Jdowning,
Thanks for all the information. I would like not to take the problem from its end and solution.
What is according to you, the PYRAMID LUTE STRINGS to be chosen from their catalog for a 58.5cm vibrating length on a floating bridge oud, for similar sounds generated by Nassir CHamma, Ahmad EL Khatib , Mounir Bachir...
Regards

I prefer nylgut for the three top course on my Bashir oud by Fawzy Monshed (57cm). I bought them from Matthias Wagner. The nylgut is superior in sound any nylon strings I used before and are also more nice to the eagle risha.

Best wishes

Ronny
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:15 AM

Jdowning, I am just asking what types (codes?) of pyramid lute strings does Nasseer Chamma (for example...) use. Either you know and u don't want to say as if it was a state secret, or u don't. In both cases there is nothing wrong, but I prefer a direct answer, if you do have. It goes without saying that it is a matter of personal taste. If I try the Nasseer Chamma combination I may like it and I make not, despite the fact that I am a drop of water with comparison to his ocean. Regards
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oud Freak
Jdowning, I am just asking what types (codes?) of pyramid lute strings does Nasseer Chamma (for example...) use. Either you know and u don't want to say as if it was a state secret, or u don't. In both cases there is nothing wrong, but I prefer a direct answer, if you do have. It goes without saying that it is a matter of personal taste. If I try the Nasseer Chamma combination I may like it and I make not, despite the fact that I am a drop of water with comparison to his ocean. Regards

Why dont you ask Mattihas Wagner instead of asking John who really is not Bashir oud guy. Matthias have answers to all your questions both here on the forum or on his web site http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7012

Best wishes

Ronny
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:45 AM

Matthias, thanks for your replies, I am interested. Even the english version of your website is very german and not easy to decifer. I also didn't know what to download. Which brand is the SET OUD P10? Can you please send the related link for this set on ur website. Thanks.
OF
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top