Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercm525i
Thanks oud proff, just ordered a copy from ebay.

You're very welcome :wavey:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 10:18 PM

Any chance version 3 will work on a Mac?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
esteso
Oud Addict

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 11:05 AM

Hmm, no word on Mac yet? Too bad. It looks so good I might have to buy a PC just for that.

Michael Telle
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 12:34 PM

Sorry Brian and Michael for the delay in response to the Mac question. I was hoping to resolve this issue with the programmer, but seems to yet need some more work on that.

So, for now only PC. After all Michael a PC will come in handy for other things too :)

Best wishes,
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
esteso
Oud Addict

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 07:17 AM

Hello Oud.Prof

Thanks for the (for me) quick reply. I've pretty much decided I must find a way to study this DVD and I've already got 3 computers so I don't really want another. (but what can you do?)

Which version or versions of MS Office do you need in order to run this? Maybe I can install it in my son's PC. And is there anything else that will trip me up? I know exactly zero about PCs.

Here's another thought......... How about Windows emulation software?

Cheers

Michael Telle
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by esteso  
Hello Oud.Prof

Thanks for the (for me) quick reply. I've pretty much decided I must find a way to study this DVD and I've already got 3 computers so I don't really want another. (but what can you do?)

Which version or versions of MS Office do you need in order to run this? Maybe I can install it in my son's PC. And is there anything else that will trip me up? I know exactly zero about PCs.

Here's another thought......... How about Windows emulation software?

Cheers

Sorry for the delay in my reply to you Michael.

OK, here are the system requirements:

o PC system (the Multimedia WON'T work on Mac or a DVD player).

o MS Media Player.

o MS Office (2003 or later)

o Recent version of Acrobat Reader (available for FREE).

o Latest JavaScript version (can be downloaded here for free: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp).

o Latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework (can be downloaded here for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4... ).

o Latest Adobe Flash Player (can be downloaded here for free: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

o System must be clean from all Malware/Virus types that may impede the functionality of the product.

o Please keep in mind, the Multimedia Disc (DVD) is "fully loaded" and will require a pretty decent up to date DVD drive (for capacity of 4.7 Gb or greater; but not necessarily BluRay !) in order for the multimedia disc to fully function.
--------
With regard to your last question about windows emulation software, I'll have to check on that with the programmer before I give any answer....but I think we still need some time to overcome the Mac issue.

Thanks,
Saba7
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 11:26 PM

Hello Oud Proff, I lived in France and I would like to order the DVD (learn maqamat on oud). D you deliver in Europe?
Thank you
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 03:10 AM

Thanks sandymiss.

Yes Saba7, it can be shipped to France. You can either purchase it at eBay, or you can email me if you have questions.

Regards,
Saba7
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-26-2009 at 06:58 AM

Bonjour Oud.Proff
I just ordered my copy from ebay
Congratulations for ur work, and your great talent !!! :applause:

Greetings from France
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-24-2009 at 11:42 PM
Question re: Learn Maqamat DVD

Does anyone know what modules need Microsoft Office? That seems a little unusual. Is it a matter of needing spreadsheet capability, or what?

Also any sign of when version 3 might come out?
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 12:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Saba7  
Bonjour Oud.Proff
I just ordered my copy from ebay
Congratulations for ur work, and your great talent !!! :applause:

Greetings from France

You're quite welcome Saba7,
Thanks.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Does anyone know what modules need Microsoft Office? That seems a little unusual. Is it a matter of needing spreadsheet capability, or what?

Also any sign of when version 3 might come out?

I can answer that fernandraynaud :) Yes... that is exactly correct, one of the new features in this version - the Maqam Identifier - does need a spreadsheet capability in Excel.

No news with regard to Version 3 as of yet, but we sure are still working on it !

Thanks for your interest.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 02:24 AM

As a programmer I can tell you that there are plugins that provide Excel compatible spreadsheet capability without requiring the user to have what is a very expensive program. Windows is one thing, but I sure don't install Office on every PC in the studio!

I have used FarPoint and some other spreadsheet "components" when programming in Delphi, Borland C++ and other languages. They only cost a few hundred dollars for an unlimited use license for the programmer, you insert it into the human interface you are building. They come as ActiveX and .NET so they can be used even in very simple browser-based projects. There are some versions that are so complete they do everything that Excel does, and these are most expensive, but there are also simpler ones where you don't need quite that. You might have your programmer look into it.

Also there are Excel-compatible office suites that are open source and/or free to the end user, so the programmer should make sure that these can be used as well. Open Office comes to mind. Now THAT can be installed on every machine.

http://www.openoffice.org/

My point is that it's enough domination by Microsoft without making Offi$e a requirement to use your marvelous project, when all you need is a spreadsheet!

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 03:55 AM

I used xlviewer.exe - a small 9.9mb free program from microsoft download page, works fine with the Maqam identifier, don't go for the latest ExcelViewer.exe - it's 74.1mb!!! (3hr download on dial-up!!) I don't know what makes the file so big, but whatever it is you don't need it!

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 06:40 AM

Thanks a lot fernandraynaud and Sazi. We may have overlooked that issue actually, simply thinking that MS-Office is the predominant Office Suite in most machines, as a "given". But you're absolutely correct fernandraynaud, greatly appreciated.

Regards
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 02:12 PM

Hey OudProff! Its Philip From Dubai:wavey:

I Ordered From U the DVD.........

I already got the DVD from Mail Box!

Thanks MAN!

How Can I access the Membership Videos?

U2U Me If U Read This Message

Thanks Please Reply!!!!

Shoukran,

Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 02:57 AM

Philip, you need to e-mail him, he hardly ever checks here.
jamie-learn
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-25-2011 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oud.Proff  
[
OK, here are the system requirements:

o PC system (the Multimedia WON'T work on Mac or a DVD player).

o MS Media Player.

o MS Office (2003 or later)

o Recent version of Acrobat Reader (available for FREE).

o Latest JavaScript version (can be downloaded here for free: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp).

o Latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework (can be downloaded here for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4... ).

o Latest Adobe Flash Player (can be downloaded here for free: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

o System must be clean from all Malware/Virus types that may impede the functionality of the product.

o Please keep in mind, the Multimedia Disc (DVD) is "fully loaded" and will require a pretty decent up to date DVD drive (for capacity of 4.7 Gb or greater; but not necessarily BluRay !) in order for the multimedia disc to fully function.
--------
With regard to your last question about windows emulation software, I'll have to check on that with the programmer before I give any answer....but I think we still need some time to overcome the Mac issue.

Thanks,

Thanks for providing detailed information

mustanggt209
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:57 AM

why it's not available to Egypt MR OUD.PROFF??????
PLz
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 09:08 AM

Philip, you need to e-mail him, he hardly ever checks here.

Thanks fernandraynaud, I'm here now :)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 04:09 AM

I'd like to add a few points for people that don't have a standard PC. The media files that are the actual examples can be played on just about any system. The book can be viewed with any PDF viewer. The spreadsheet can be used with many programs. You might not have all the features, but it's usable regardless. What I'm saying is that having the DVD I've found many ways to use it, not necessarily just using the way it was intended, from the main program. I haven't tried it with PC emulation on a mac, but I think it should also work that way.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 08:32 AM

I'd like to add a few points for people that don't have a standard PC. The media files that are the actual examples can be played on just about any system. The book can be viewed with any PDF viewer. The spreadsheet can be used with many programs. You might not have all the features, but it's usable regardless. What I'm saying is that having the DVD I've found many ways to use it, not necessarily just using the way it was intended, from the main program. I haven't tried it with PC emulation on a mac, but I think it should also work that way.

Thanks for the information. Indeed I was told by some Mac users that they - somehow - managed to make the product work, indirectly.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oud.Proff  

Thanks for the information. Indeed I was told by some Mac users that they - somehow - managed to make the product work, indirectly.

Good to know.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 04:14 AM

Hey guys,

like many others I've also ordered the Multimedia DVD. I received it a few days ago and tried to get it to work but unfortunately it did not work on my PC system (Windows Vista). I got in touch with Oudproff regarding this issue and we found out that running this DVD on Windows Vista is apparently not possible. Still, he told me that some guys have managed to get it to work. Is there possibly anybody who has faced the same problem? Any experiences or advices what to do?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 07:13 PM

There are several components on this wonderful DVD.

There are the actual tutorial videos, they are numbered .DAT files in the OudProff Multimedia folder. If you copy the whole disk onto your PC/Mac hard drive, you can change their extension from .dat to .mpg, and then you can easily view them with one of the many programs that play video clips.

Then in the Docs folder there are explanation files and booklets in PDF format, those are immediately viewable with Acrobat Viewer.

In the Docs folder there's also the .XLS spreadsheet that is the Maqam Identifier. You can view that with many programs. The way it "works" as a finder is by starting out showing the full list, then filtering the full set by specifying the intervals. In Excel you do this most easily with drop-downs, which is the most convenient, but you can also do it other ways. You need to experiment with what you have, whether it allows you to filter in order to search, but in any case you'll likely be able to see the full spreadsheet.

Then there are those accursed audio files that play as background music whether you want them to or not, they keep "coming back".

Finally there's a Windows executable .exe file that ties it all together so the Maqamat Book's individual chapter loose PDFs are presented in a window with some "navigation" buttons and with the video files triggered by clicking on a button. AND it keeps ignoring your request to not play those bloody background tunes ;-)

I cannot imagine why that EXE would not run in Vista, in fact I have run it under XP, Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I think on a mac and Linux it would run under Windows emulation, it's really a very simple shell that just displays the PDFs and, when you click on the button, triggers the MPGs to play the video.

The only gotcha might be if it uses DDE to invoke the services of Acrobat and a Media Player. That's an old way of doing things, and it might break under some conditions. In that case just work with the individual files.

If you have the .dat files on your hard drive renamed to .mpg, you can view each one and then rename it to the appropriate Maqam (that it displays clearly as it's playing). There are some that just show the fingering on a given maqam, and there is usually one or more longer examples, so you might name the main one AjamDefinition.mpg, then AjamExample1.mpg and so on. It's actually a good way to survey the Maqamat.

Then in the Docs folder you have the overall book as one big PDF, and as the individual Maqam chapters, so you study it in order, starting say with Ajam, then you play the videos for Ajam., and keep going.

It's only a minor inconvenience to have to do that renaming, and then after that you can quickly find the videos by maqam name.

You end up with the exact same material as when you run the top level EXE to read the Maqamat PDFs and click to play the videos. In reality you tend to use the system one Maqam at a time, study the fingering, read about it, play the examples, practice, meditate, play some more. So it's a minor nuisance, not a catastrophe, to not have that overall shell program.

Frankly, to rebuild that structure to use a web browser so it would be compatible with every computer is not a big broject, and the next version really should be done that way.

The Maqam Finder spreadsheet also could be rebuilt in a web shell.

In any case, I've provided enough information here so you can take advantage of the explanations AND the great video tutorials no matter what operating system you're running. The first step is to copy the entire DVD to your hard drive.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top