Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ornamentation advice
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 09:34 AM
Ornamentation advice

I am new to oud playing (I'm a guitarist). Where can I find some good online instruction and excercizes in ornamentation so that my oud playing can stop sounding like I"m playing the guitar! I listen and listen and the ornamention often goes buy so fast that I cannot seem to disect it to duplicate it. Any You Tube clips or instructional DVDs you can recomment?
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-a-licious

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 09:51 AM

Hi Shareen- great idea!

I have learned a few types of ornamentation over the years from various teachers, but I know there are others. I know there MUST be a set of conventional ornamentations, as there are in flamenco, etc., that could be broken down and practiced/learned.

Any of the advanced players out there willing to lay out what they consider to be the main types of ornaments, complete with instructions and recordings? That would be really beneficial to all. Of course, these will probably differ from region to region.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 09:52 AM

welcome to the forum Shareen. :) coming from a guitar playing background myself I can say that some of the ornamentation you can apply to the oud is similiar to some ornamanentation used on the guitar, which as a guitar player you are probably familiar with to some degree.
Some of these ornamentations include 'hammer-ons', pull-offs', tremelo' ( rapid up and down strokes with the risha (plectrum), sliding into or away from a note ( easier without frets), and so on. A lesson with a good teacher would help.
Also let your ear be your guide: I found that by closely listening to what an oud player is doing you can sort of 'visualise' or pick up on what ornamentation techique is being applied. Also useful is watching all the oud video clips in this website and on you tube and observe any close-up views of ornamentation in progress. :airguitar:
Something that you may find useful as far as understanding maqams has just been released:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7231
best wishes, mw
Koura
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 01:25 PM

Some specific ornaments are written out in vol. I of Jamil Bashir's oud method: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6257
I think it's on page 10 of the pdf document.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 10:34 AM

Hi Shareen,

As a former guitar player (jazz) myself, I would have to say that the best way to stop "sounding like a guitar player" is to have (at least) a few lessons with an accomplished oud player. This is also importanrt, in my opinion, to ensure that your right-hand technique is proper. My was not, and I start to develop a repetitve stress injury when I began playing oud.

There must be oud players in Upstate New York who are competent to teach. Here is the only one I know of right now:
Omar Faruk Tekbilek (Rochester): http://www.omarfaruktekbilek.com/index.php?p=contact

Good luck,
John (in California)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 02:39 PM

Hey Shareen, I'm not sure where you are upstate, but you could always make a pilgrimage to NY city. There are a number of people to study with here, including Najib Shaheen and Bassam Saba. A lesson with either of them would certainly be worth the trip.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top