Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who would make your top five list if you wanted to help someone "get" Middle Eastern music?
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 06:59 AM
Who would make your top five list if you wanted to help someone "get" Middle Eastern music?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what music a person who did not grow up surrounded by Middle Eastern culture should listen to in order to get the patterns of the music. I've played music before (bass guitar) but it was mostly heavy metal on one extreme and the Grateful Dead on the other.... (and while "I" think Ozzy and Jerry made some great music in their time - the genre does not really prepare the listener for Umm Kalthum)

So,. who would make your top five list if you wanted to help someone "get" Middle Eastern music? Are there specific songs?

Thanks in advance
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 03:57 PM

John Berberian
Hamza Al Din
John Vartan
Wafir
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 04:14 PM

... and Rahim Al Haj.

Now you're good.
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 07:54 PM

And if you haven't already, check out the music on http://www.maqamworld.com

Extremely helpful and in English!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:21 PM

I can help you but I would like to know what your are looking to listen to.
Oum Koulthoum is in Arabic so you may not understand the words but the music is nice to listen to.
then again its not the easyest of music on the ears for someone not familiar with it.

What do you mean by ''get'' the music??

If you would like oud music check out the oudism page. Most of those oudists are great.
I recommend: Amer Ammouri and Ryad el Sumbati. Both of them have what you can call a ''traditional'' sound.
http://www.mikeouds.com/music.html

If your looking for Vocal music it depends what your tastes are. The middle eastern Pop music can be good to get into the music at first since its not so complex and it has nice studio production as opposed to most classical music that features a ''live'' recording with sounds of the crowd roaring...
If you would like I can post some youtube clips for many famous Arab singers.
I know I have a lot of posts but.... I have in the past put some songs up for other forumers to discover arabic music singers. you can do a search on my posts I think about 2 years ago...
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:31 AM

I don't think Oum Kalthsoum needs any preparation, if you don't like it, look elsewhere.
I listen to she every day after lunch, and never get tired. Don't understanding the words doesn't matter for me.

I also enjoy Najat El Sagherah, Warda and others, but Oum Kalthsoum is very far from any other singer, included Farid and Mohamed Abdel Wahab.

amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 10:52 AM

Something to the effect has been discussed before here http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4199#pid276...

Hope this helps.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:10 AM

Have to add Yair Dalal, he's a fine oud player with a fine touch & beautiful sound, also a violinist & composer. All his recordings are superb and have ethnic roots with an international appeal. A true world artist. "Samar" is the main oud album. C.
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 05:28 PM

Cant go past Joseph Tawadros for me! - http://www.josephtawadros.com

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7262&pa...
http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7etDp94r10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70qMzI72WGM

His music defies category and it is really good listening and collaboration...

James
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 09:28 PM

It's funny you metion him James.....

To be honest.... I'm finding a lot of inspiration from the clips people on this board put on line and in mp3 or rm format. So I'm listening to a lot from this group....

Also, I've been going through the "Oudism" section and listening to a lot of music. Samir's post made me realize just how ignorant I am about this genre of music.... So at this point, I'm just finding out how much I don't know.... But, so far, here are some of my favorites...

Hamza el Din - especially a song called 'The Message Bearer'

George Abyad - he seems to play with a lot of feeling and does not overdo the complexity (I'm finding I'm just not getting a lot of the Taqsims right now... On one hand I can appreciate the complexity, but as I understand it a lot of the Taqsim is about blending different maqams together and it's just beyond my understanding right now)

Le Trio Joubran - Since I've had almost no exposure to the Oud until very recently, their music feels like a cross between eastern and western (at least to me)

Sandy Bull - 'carnival jump - oud and drum' - While everything else they do seems to be guitar and banjo, I found them on iTunes while looking under oud - I listen to that track over and over...

J Tawadros - I was just blown away by the emotion that goes into the songs... From what I've heard so far, his playing might very well be my favorite yet.... Once payday rolls around, I think I'll pick up thier CD.... Just wish it was on Itunes so I could have it now...

Abdo Jorob - I really wish I could find more of this guy's music... he reminds me of a very spirited Hamza el Din.... but all I could find is the Youtube clip.... :(

Finally, the cd that came with my Hal Leonard - Oud Method book..... I've heard that a lot too....
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 10:04 PM

Hey man,
Georges Abyad is a legend.
keep listening to him he's a master composer of his time.

I like Joespeh Tawadros to, he has a very traditional base and I love the way he plays. Even when he does a fusion type of album he does keep a certain classical style to his playing.

On another note, I would have to give you my opinion on the other oud music you have selected.
It is excellent music by excellent musicians but if your trying to get the true essence of middle eastern music it is perhaps not the best of choices.
The joubran brother are doing something funky with the oud which is really nice and enjoyable to me. I saw them live and I was blown away. Its good oud music but I wouldnt describe it as the essence of Arabic music.
The sudanese way of playing oud is so different then the main schools of playing (arabic, turkish and Iraqi). It is heavily influenced by the African melodies and modes that it cant really be considered Arabic music. Its quite enjoyable as a music but if your goal is to discover Arabic music then its not where you should be looking.
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 06:12 AM

Hello Christian,

Why is is funny I mention J Tawadros? He is my favourite, he has music for every mood and just when you think wow cant get any better, he'll suprise you with a different collaboration, sound or approach. He's always fresh which alot of the other oud players dont do for me...As Samir pointed out, he is contemporary but has a beautiful traditional base and can always take me to tarab land...

Enjoy the free clips on those links I gave you...

Good luck!

Excited James
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:17 AM

James, no offense intended...

It was funny because I was surfing the board and came across his music - really enjoyed it - and then read your post right after...

Please forgive me if I gave offense.

Chris
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 07:36 AM

Samir,

I think I'm being pulled towards the music that I'm finding that is a little slower and easier to understand. For example, I don't understand the rhythm of most arabic songs... I've been spending a lot of time at Maqam World website, and I'm starting to get some of it.. but I feel like I have a long way to go still.

Can you recommend any good arabic songs that are slow and easy for me to get the rhythm? Or anything where you have the Oud playing with a drum or riq... That really seems to help me get the rhythmic pattern of the song.

Chris

- Hamza el Din is just cool though.... I got into his music a long time ago.. before I even knew about the oud...
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 08:27 AM

Hey Christian,

Far from offended man, just wanted to know the coincidence..thanks for filling me in...

Joseph brother James is an amazing arabic percussionist, he is on the clip I sent you on youtube... http://www.myspace.com/jamestawadros

Good luck with your search...

James
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 5-7-2008 at 04:08 PM

Try Samra Ya Samra by Karem Mahmoud

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1574#pid470...
http://www.aramusic.com/htmls/hq504.htm
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 06:39 AM

I think I've figured it out..... Last night I was working through the maqam, mostly just learning where to put my fingers and getting more familiar with the instrument. At one point, I just broke into "Ghost Riders in the Sky" - the Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr version. I've been struggling with the most simple arabic songs but "Ghost Riders" wasn't a problem - which is really frustrating... (BTW, the theme to "Speed Racer" and "I Dream of Jeanie" sounded pretty cool too...) On one hand, the fingering is not so alien to me that I can't get it - which is encouraging... but the rhythm is kicking my butt.... which is not.

It made me really start to think about just how different the rhythms are and how I need to re-learn how music is constructed. As I am not from any place where the Oud was traditionally played, it's like I have to learn an entirely different system of thinking about music....

I listened to this and it really helped.... Afterwards, I did some improv off of the beat and it sounded less western....

So, I guess I should rephrase my original question... does anybody have some really good examples of the different rhythms that are most common?

Thanks
Chris
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 10:00 AM

Heh heh. Ghost Riders! Great! Try these; the downside is you have to turn the volume wa-a-a-y up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vBAZi3aja4s&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BIQIOaE3y_Y&feature=related

At this point in my life, I figure I'll be a semi-educated listener to Arabic music, and stick with the Celtic stuff to play on the oud. We didn't have any middle-Eastern music in Iowa when I was a boy, unless you count Caravan, or the Popeye Meets Sinbad soundtrack. I'll work on what I know, and try to be content. Celtic tunes sound good on the oud; maybe it's even new ground!

Rhythmically, I'd suggest listening, and lots of it. There are Slip Jigs in Irish music, 9/8, pretty straightforward, and then there are 9/8 Greek tunes, but they chop the 9s up differently. Just when I think I have a handle on that, I hear some Balkan 11/16 item, or something in 5s or 7s, and I'm lost again. I just keep on listening and having fun, and, I hope, learning. Enjoyment is key. (The hard part is working that risha properly - grrr.)
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 10:33 AM

Traditionally improvisations or Taqasims, dont have a particular defined rythm.

It is most often done with a background of a long lasting note.
listen to this.
its Kanun not oud but it shows an example of what arabic music spirit is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B82QNIY3SU&feature=related

The art of taqasim is closely tied to the art of the Mawal which is the singing of poems such as this.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:00 AM

Awesome songs -- Samir, I really liked the Vocals... Carpenter - the reel was really cool... thanks!

Question - did rhythm grow out of Mawal?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:56 AM

no no rhythm is what you need for song to progress like in any other music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtIuRaNdX0

the rhythm comes in here at 48 seconds.
This rhythm is called Baladi.
at 1:08 the rhythm changes to Wahda.
then again at 1:37 it changes back to Baladi.

http://www.maqamworld.com
has information on rhythms.
Lamma Anakhu
Oud Lover

Mood: Saba - صبا

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 12:19 AM

I know that this is a rather long reply, but maybe it will provide some useful info.

Just to clarify for you... And this is from my understanding, based upon past research and growing up with a singer, oud and tabla performing, musician father...

A mawwal is a vocal lament, which is sometimes preceded by an introductory instrumental melody called doulab or by an instrumental taqsim (improv). The mawwal is used to introduce/prepare and set the tone for a popular song that is to follow, which will include the entire band/ensemble/orchestra.

Usually, but not strictly, the main maqam of the mawwal will be the same (or related) as the maqam of the following song. The mawwal itself does not require an accompanying instrument, but usually is accompanied by instrumentalists (oud, qanoun, violin, flute; solo or various forms of).

With regards to the melody in a mawwal and rhythm, the singer is released from the very idea of a measure.

As Samir mentions, a mawwal is one of the improvisational vocal art forms, which is closely related to the instrumental improvisational art called taqsim (pl. taqasim).

A mawwal is completely under the singer's control and is used to show not just their technical ability, but how they can combine that technical mastery with knowledge of the Arabic language (sometimes adding verses from other poems), and an ability to play with the melody, beautifully phrasing the words and recasting the poem, repeating a previous verse in a myriad of ways. Having a nice sounding voice isn't enough in the classical song form.

You don't have to read at this point, unless you care for what defines a mawwal, because this is where specifications come into play...

Though people will refer to all solo vocal laments as mawwal for ease, a mawwal is specifically to be a poem written in an Arabic colloqial language. Juxtapose this with the qasida, which is a similar form, but written in the classical Arabic language.

For instance, my namesake (Lamma Anakhu) is often referred to as a mawwal, but as the poem (written in the 20th century by Iraqi poet, Yousuf Lampachi) is in the classical language, it is actually a qasida.

To make everything more confused, the song term of qasida should not be confused with the poetic form of the same name, even though you can sing a qasida poem in the qasida song form.

Hope it helps...
Lamma Anakhu
Oud Lover

Mood: Saba - صبا

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 09:37 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the singer does all of these things to create the imagery for the audience, so that you feel through them, the poem as it comes alive and empathize with it theme, even if you can not understand the words.

Go To Top