Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: More slow-but-sure - #4
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 11:49 AM

I guess I'm going to have to take back half of what I've said about sanding (well, maybe not half ...). I was curious, so I took my pile of one-side-planed ribs over to friend Josh's shoppe to use his thickness drum sander. I have to say, not that bad! I'd initially wanted to just buzz off the bandsawn surface and see how that went, but heck - finish-thickness-plus-a-couple-of-swipes-with-a-scraper was just a couple of passes away. My planer would've chipped out a lot of the figure; this went really quickly, smooth and consistent results, reasonably quiet (a plus).

Thanks, Josh.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 12:50 PM

No question that a sander thicknesser will do a quick and accurate job - possibly the only alternative with 'very difficult' wood grain.
This brought to mind an earlier thread by Hosam "The Abdo Nahat Project", posting dated 1-18-2007 where a drill press sanding thicknesser was used to thickness ribs. This seems to be a useful 'home built' device using a low cost 'drum' sander so I have taken the liberty to attach an image of the set up. I have not tried it but it should work well if you have to resort to sanding to thickness highly figured ribs.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 01:49 PM

Thanks, John. That looks like it should work, with a true-running drum. I'd much rather plane, myself, but I just had to see.

I did have an unrelated good idea: I was touching up the scrapers, and came up with these burnisher handlebars. The burnisher is an old VW piston wrist pin, nice and hard, but I got tired of hit-and-miss burnishing angles, and occasionally slicing up my thumbs when I don't pay Best Attention. The dowels are a press-fit into the pin; pretty simple. An additional benefit, besides the substantial future savings on Band-Aids, is that I find that it's easier to judge and maintain the desired angle.

Now all I need is some streamers, a bell, and a horn.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 07:25 PM

nice one.
you can also keep it under your pillow in case someone breaks in.
Meet the piston burnisher.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2008 at 03:41 AM

Just for information. I checked one of my drum sanders for 'run out' yesterday. The drum sander is a low cost affair - a solid cylinder of rubber with a threaded spindle that allows the cylinder to be compressed at each end in order to retain a cylindrical tube of abrasive sanding paper. The drum sander was mounted in a drill press - just the rubber cylinder, without the sandpaper tube - with the rubber slightly compressed. Run out was measured with a dial gauge mounted on the drill press table and with the drill chuck rotated by hand. Maximum run out was 0.012 inch (0.3 mm) - too much, I would judge, for accurate thicknessing work. I didn't check run out of the drill chuck but assume that this would only be a small amount.
No doubt, the rubber drum could be made to run true by mounting it on an accurately machined custom designed spindle and compression collars - but this would take this solution out of the 'low cost home built' category for most who do not have metal working lathe facilities and skills.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-14-2008 at 07:56 PM

The bats came off way cool looking..... I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished product.... I'm still drooling over the Celtic Oud... I've always loved the running dogs motif......

Chris Walters
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2008 at 12:14 PM

Yup, the bats are most cool. I think I'm going to use them instead of Crows In Trees. A little savings account for the future there ...

Looks like No Progress on this one lately, and it's true - I've been a little jammed up lately with repairs, and canning produce and pickles. 'Tis the season to be putting food by, but it sure cuts into a guy's free time.

<< I've always loved the running dogs motif...... >>

Me, too; I have them inked on my bodhran head (Irish single-head drum). Sven in Boston, who bought that doggies oud, likes 'em a lot, also. There's a recurring thought that using dogs as a motif might have limited the buying audience somewhat. I don't know.

I have the ribs for this one finally (!) cut, just need to find some quality, alone time to fire up the bender. News as it happens.

Guess Samir's snoozing, too ...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 05:29 AM

yup I am for sure...
I am in the quest for the same quality alone time you speak of
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 08:16 AM
Is this a race?

:D

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 11:04 AM

LOL
good one Jameel
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 11:53 AM

I'm glad the doggies oud found a good home... If I had had the cash at the time, that home would have been at my house :shrug:

"I" prefer the bats... they feel more 'stealthy' in the sense that it still has the classic look of the rosette pieces I've seen --- but with bats.... The bird and the tress are both awesome pieces as well... but much like the doggies, it's a clear deviation from what you see on most rosettes...

Also, have you ever done a Dead inspired oud?

(BTW - I've been using this as a screensaver... And if you ever do a T-shirt run of this... I'm a 2X and I'll buy two.

Chris Walters
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 02:39 PM

<< Is this a race? >>

"Gentlemen, start your benders." Looks like more progress from the acknowledged Champ. Not worried, we remain a firm contender around the first lap with the neck-and-pegbox and rose completed. We think we have a strong clubhouse-turn and homestretch organization, and remain optimistic.

<< Also, have you ever done a Dead inspired oud? >>

Hmm. Not really, but maybe the bats come closest to the drawings. T-shirts? There's this, for spreading a little global Oud Consciousness:

http://www.horizonscreenprint.com/buy_deadguy.html
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 02:57 PM

T-shirt is awesome! but the site won't let me buy it... apparently, there is some kind of problem....

Chris Walters
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2008 at 03:04 PM

<< the site won't let me buy it... apparently, there is some kind of problem.... >>

Dang. That's not right; I'll give 'em a call, see what's up with that.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 06:55 AM

Sorry, no response from the screenprinters. I'll keep trying.

Meanwhile, it's kind of humid here for August ...
DanielH
Oud Addict

Mood: Satisfied

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 07:15 AM

Regarding your t-shirt art - I wonder if that jester was still alive when he began tuning... :D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top