Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How can i learn playing oud fast & in a good tecnique?
nancy
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:10 PM
How can i learn playing oud fast & in a good tecnique?

Hello,

I have been trying to learn playing oud since the last 5 months, I am still in the beginner stage just started with first maqam Ajam Al-Do but unfortunately i have no time to practice due to my working conditions, i already brought one. I am tired just focusing on notes i want to learn playing songs directly (i can play songs by ear but i find it slightly difficult for a beginner stage so i need to develop an advance technique), i adore this instrument and i dont want to quit playing because it has always been my dream to be a professional oud player, please advice.
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 01:59 AM

It's well established that you need at least 10,000 hours quality practice to be a good player on any instrument. To be really good it should be done before you're twenty.

10,000 hours remember; that's four hours a day, five days a week for ten years.

And then there are teaching sessions....

Don't want ot put you off in any way.:rolleyes:
nancy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 03:17 AM

Why did you make it so difficult on me, i already exceeded twenty, i am in late twenties and i think i mentioned my work is taking so much of my time, so please advice due to the previous mentioned points.

thank you...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 06:54 AM

Just play with your heart and enjoy what your playing.
being good enough to enjoy playing oud should come anywhere between 6 months to 2 years depending on individual talent and dedication.

most importantly dont forget to have fun.
when you say professional oud player... its misleading because professional means your making it your profession so it is the main way you gain your everyday bread.
well if that is what you want...
I think its a combination of talent, a professional mentor, and lining up of the stars
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 07:38 AM

"Quality practice" is indeed what you want. You could practice all sorts of bad habits, and spend more time later unlearning them - The Voice of Experience, unfortunately. A good teacher will save you time and error. It's all going to get down to spending time, no matter what. Enjoying the process is key; they call it "playing," after all.

I heard when I was much younger, "You can go to the garden and pull on the carrot tops, but that won't make the carrots grow any faster." So don't force it; it's not a race. "Late twenties" is a great time to get started; I started picking oud at 57. I'm still horrible at it, but it's certainly fun learning.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 08:17 AM

If you don't find a teacher in your area, I recommend you the help of informatic program which slow down music. Make a research on internet about transcribe program.
It is helpful in my practice, but also I had the luck to follow lessons, which bring me the level to then work and progress by myself.
Regards
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 10:19 AM

Hi Nancy- I think you might have just mentioned one main factor why you are having a problem - you said you don't have enough time to practise due to your working conditions.
:shrug:Unless you are born with a golden risha in your hand then just about everyone who made any progress on the oud (or on any instrument) went through long hours of practising with focus. Even spending a few minutes every day practising up and down strokes with the risha going up and down scales/maqams will bear fruit in time. As you live in the UAE I'm guessing someone there plays the oud and might be able to help you. There is no substitute for practise, which ought to be fun and enjoyable in itself. Best wishes, MW :)
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 10:24 AM

"Quality practice" is an interesting term. Like most people who have attempted to learn a musical instrument, I have learned that if I just mess around with the instrument, I will gradually improve. But if I'm really clear about what I want to learn, give myself a mix of well thought-through technical excercises and pieces that gradually push my technique and understanding of the music, and really think about what I'm doing while I practice, I improve a lot faster.

I read a book recently "the art of practice" by Howard Snell which expands on this principle and I'd really recommend it. He's a trumpet player, but his observations apply to pretty much any instrument (it is quite focused on performance and quickly mastering any given written score but I still think it would be useful for oud players who aren't necessarily into written music). Some of what he writes is pretty much common sense, but its very easy for me to overlook common sense when it comes to practicing. There are also some real gems of advice and has some really useful tips for making practice count plus some very good technical exercises.
nancy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 02:34 AM

Thank you all for your remarkable guildlines, i will try my best to stick to them because i love this instrument & i want to accomplish a good techinique of playing & btw when i mentioned i started 5 months ago, i meant by that; i started taking lessons with a professional oudism in a musical institute, means on correct factors not on my own.

Cheers all...
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 07:45 AM

Hi there

Firstly really enjoy what you play at whatever level. Focussed practice as others have said is key but so is what I would call 'purposeful noodling' where you allow time to just cut free and explore the instrument. You will find that with this you will make lots of unexpected musical connections.

I find it is good to get into the habit of making each note count wether you are noodling or practicing tremelo etc so you bring a relaxed but focussed attention to all aspects of your practice including your mistakes - it is a sort of meditative attitude.

I tend to practice a little and often and try to finish of on a good note, in other words I quit whilst I'm ahead because it is the memory of the previous session that I take into the next one.

One last thing is to play rather than practice even if it is just a tremelo, make it count and play it with your heart.

You're in a fine place to be learning oud - enjoy yourself.

Leon;)
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 02:56 PM

Certainly don't bother yourself about your age or your lack of time. Like my friend told me when I explained to him how I wished I had started playing when I was very young: "Sitting around and wishing accomplishes nothing. Now is the best time to do what you want to do." He's right. If one's true dream is to become a professional player, the only way that can be accomplished is to keep chasing that goal. Otherwise one is just sitting around and wishing, accomplishing nothing. My goal is not to be a professional player, but this type of proactive attitude really helps me in my playing and keeps me from being discouraged.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 01:05 AM

Hey Nancy, Go with what Samir Canada says and remember that there are as many non pro players who play as well if not better than the professionals. Think Nancy not others, believe and remember you are the only person that can play like you. Best C.:airguitar: (Hey Patheslip, sorry to say this mate but in the interest of all learners/players you are talking nonsense)
nancy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 04:02 AM

I would thank you all again for your advice, i was back yesterday only for training after one month absense and i promised myself that i will never quit playing no matter and i will explore more and more about this incredible instrument.

Regards to all.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 07:31 AM

Nancy,

I just picked up the Oud in April this year... I would challenge you to post some of your music on the board. When I bought my Oud from SamirCanada, he challenged me to put some music up... I found that having a goal (even very short term... such as, learn this song and share it...) helps me to focus. It does not have to be perfect... and you can get some really good advice from the folks on this board...

Pathslip... I think I understand what you're saying... but if you ask any master, of any craft, almost all will say that they're still learning.... I don't think you EVER get true mastery of an instrument... Even with 10,000 hours, there is always something more to learn... But, there is a big difference between mastering an instrument and playing at a level that will keep you from being embarrassed.... I certainly hope it doen't take 10 years...

Nancy, Good Luck and if you put a recording on the board, I promise to listen to it and your music will be listened to by someone half way around the world... (or 7386 miles or 11886 km give or take)

Chris Walters
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 10:02 AM

charlieoud

I know I came across a bit strong in my post and it wasn't very encouraging, but what I wrote was right and reflects the fact that you've got to put in the hours to get good.

I haven't put in the hours on the oud, and I'm not any good, but people pay me to play fiddle quite often, and have me back again too. If I'd done more practice when I was young I'd be much better. In fact I'd better do my practice for tomorrow's gig.
I hope I haven't causes offence.:rolleyes:
Cheerio.:wavey:
nancy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 10:31 PM

No offence,

i agree with you 100% that practice, practice & practice will make me a good player, i will keep this goal in mind.

Thank you.
nancy
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 10:34 PM

Hey Christian,

thank you so much for your comment, i appreciate what you adviced me about & of coarse one day i will post a record so that you guys can judge it & share your experience & feed back with me.

Cheers.
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 02:20 AM

Hi Nancy,

If you live in Dubai, i can provide free lessons for you. I have been playing oud for 18 years. I dont read notes and i have got the teachniq for oud playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4vFA6ycp4
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6670#pid408...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7393#pid464...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6745#pid412...

Here some of my records for a past one year.

Thanks
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 04:52 PM

Patheslip,

And maybe I over responded to your comments so please disregard my response. My appologies to you.You may well be right, Im no expert and am glad Nancy found your reply helpful. Regards, C
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:55 PM

Hey Dubai244, that's some beautiful playing. thanks for posting it. :buttrock:

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dubai244
Hi Nancy,

If you live in Dubai, i can provide free lessons for you. I have been playing oud for 18 years. I dont read notes and i have got the teachniq for oud playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4vFA6ycp4
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6670#pid408...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7393#pid464...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6745#pid412...

Here some of my records for a past one year.

Thanks

hey Dubai244, we are going to charter a plane and all come over to visit you and take free some lessons! ;)
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 12:37 AM

Great idea, Matthew!
Lessons are free...so I can order a place in the plane....
I think I need a few thousands lessons.........at first!
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 08:00 AM

Hi Matt,

Why not. Time to time i do visit UK, at least 20 times a year. Machester, Birmenham, Gatwick and New casel. I always in these cities in the airport hotels. If you near by any of these hotels, just bring your oud and you are welcome.

Thanks

Go To Top