Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: ORIENTAL MUSIC NOTATION with Finale?
FastForward
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 10:16 AM

Adam,

Do you have both files saved in the same folder, i.e., the sample file and the arabic_modified3.ly

Can you post what you are trying to do and I can compile it on my machine to see if it is giving the same error.
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 10:19 AM

I get sometimes the error: "warning: No ordering for key signature alterations" when I use the "\key note \maqam" command, but it seems like a bug.. because sometimes I get it and sometimes it works just fine.. I suggest you close everything.. delete all files except the .ly source file, and then recompile.. sometimes it works for me without changing anything in the code.. I wonder why :shrug:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 12:04 PM

Man, you guys are really rolling with this! Leaving me FAR behind! ...but soon enough I will try to catch up.

I have spent the last ten days composing and recording bass lines for my RAGMAKAM CD, which I recorded mostly in istanbul last year. It feels good to get that CD almost finished --- now all there is left to do is record tabla which I will do this summer in vancouver.

Then back to composing new stuff for the new RAGMAKAMTAR... then back to lilypond, finally. I hope MIKE will not delete this thread :D

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reda Aouad
I get sometimes the error: "warning: No ordering for key signature alterations" when I use the "\key note \maqam" command, but it seems like a bug.. because sometimes I get it and sometimes it works just fine.. I suggest you close everything.. delete all files except the .ly source file, and then recompile.. sometimes it works for me without changing anything in the code.. I wonder why :shrug:

Yes this is what I get as well "warning" but I think I start to get what is going on now having tried to do this for Turkish key sigs (I'm almost there!!). Here's the idea:

I think we simply need to override the ordering of the symbols so it doesn't complain. It seems to be working otherwise right? I get the key sigs ok looking but we don't have to live with the complaint. There must be a pretty simple override, I'll poke around when I have more time.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2009 at 06:23 AM

...now i am starting to get back into lilypond finally - - -

wow, it seems like a big work ahead:mad:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 10:28 AM

Does anyone know of a notation program which is very very simple, free, and reliable???

I want to learn LILYPOND, this seems great for my needs EXCEPT for one major factor... "transposition"!

you, see, now being back in Europe, I can not simply write my music out in Turkish tuning (where RAST is written as G), and then expect European musicians to be able to read and transpose this. Also I will be writing music for Arab musicians and this will require again another transposition.

It seems that with LILYPOND, to transpose a whole piece would simply mean having to write the whole thing all over again.

What I like a FINALE is that transposing a whole piece up one or two whole-tones for example is easily possible with a couple of clicks.

But my crack version of FINALE is not working anymore, and I don't want to invest a lot of money into buying this software - especially since I really don't need something so powerful... I am only writing single note lines and I can put in the quartertones by hand... i also do not really need a playback option...

I am wondering if anyone knows of some very small and simple notation program that is free - and is capable of notating simple single note melodies, and transposing complete pieces?

OR, is there some simple way of transposing complete pieces with LILYPOND?

I will need all of my compositions written in Turkish notation, Arab notation, and European notation! ---and I really would prefer only to have to write the main score out just once.

THANKS!

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 02:09 PM

...just re-read this whole thread --- there is a wealth of info here!!

chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 09:47 AM

Hi, anyone's got updates on what to use that can generate midi file and sheets that include quarter-tone?

any updates what are the best softwares out there?
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:08 AM

LILYPOND!

chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  
LILYPOND!

I know, and it's pretty amazing, I have it... but its not easy as it was mentioned before... I mean not so user friendly.

but these guys worked and produced something that supports arabic and turkish music, outstanding.

anyways, have you got the way to produce the midi and the pdf?

thanks Mr. Powell
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:43 AM

Luckily, I was able to get into LILYPOND with the help of an expert friend. He has templates that he gave to me which made the whole process quite easy. Then he tutored me thru the rest...... so it was managable. I don't know how tough it would be to swing it without help.

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 10:55 AM

Hello to all !
Some weeks ago i accidentally found that http://www.mus2.com.tr/en/ ... its a new software for turkish notation.
I didnt try it yet but i wanted to share it !

Nikos
chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2010 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Multi Kulti  
Hello to all !
Some weeks ago i accidentally found that http://www.mus2.com.tr/en/ ... its a new software for turkish notation.
I didnt try it yet but i wanted to share it !

Nikos

Hi Nikos, I don't know how you found this but this is fantastic! I mean It plays quartertones, I mean you can easily use all the maqams (turkish) and add new maqams to the Turkish ones... I mean for 40 bucks totally worth it!

Mr. Powell, you should try this too (demo is available, but there are some features not working..)
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2010 at 11:45 PM

RE: Lilypond...

Here's a notation I made for Tanburi Cemil Bey's Sedaraban Saz Semaisi using Lilypond. I use the supported makam init file plus I have a config file that has quite a bit of custom tweaks. I LOVE it!

Adam

Sedaraban_saz_semaisi-cemil_beyCB-page1.png - 92kB Sedaraban_saz_semaisi-cemil_beyCB-page2.png - 43kB
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 08:24 AM

YEAH! me too! ...thanks to Adam I am now rollin' with lilypond and am able to transpose and everything!

adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 12:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  
YEAH! me too! ...thanks to Adam I am now rollin' with lilypond and am able to transpose and everything!

Edward what is your success rate with transposing makam music with Lilypond? Basically it's not supported...I did my best to look in to it and though some things work, mileage varies. I think the problem lies with the transposing engine itself. It's geared only toward 12-note to an octave so anything else and it gets confused.

Hmm maybe I could ask the developer what it would cost to get it fully functioning?? That would require hiring him for the work and if you or any one else are interested in contributing then we could get it happening!

I'd be really happy to be able to transpose from Turkish notation to Arabic with a simple switch.

What you think? Meanwhile keep on rockin' with it.

adam
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 08:19 AM

The transpostion method you gave me works quite well but it is not perfect.
Sure it would be super to have a fool-proof way to do it perfectly.... yeah, why not ask how much it would cost, then we could post it here and see how many people would be willing to pitch in to pay for that. I for one would be good for a certain amount surely!

Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 09:35 AM

For those who, like me, are scared of Lillypond, MuseScore is a bit friendlier, and includes microtones. (It will play them back, too, if you fiddle with it a little bit)

http://musescore.org/en
chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Khalid_Salé  
For those who, like me, are scared of Lillypond, MuseScore is a bit friendlier, and includes microtones. (It will play them back, too, if you fiddle with it a little bit)

[url]http://musescore.org/en
[/url]

Khaled, I just tried MuseScore and its very good, the tweak I guess is to change tuning of the half flat.. that's it

I don't understand what are the advantages of Lillypond over an easy-to-use software such as MuseScore or other ones that are able to play microtones..?

chaldo
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 02:14 PM

Lilypond is also very easy to use once you get the hang of it.... it is also FREE.

Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 03:22 PM

MuseScore's free, too! It exports to Lilypond as well, so it might be worth having both and playing around with them.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 03:27 PM

Can you transpose with MuseScore?

Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 03:29 PM

You can, at the click of a button, but I don't know how well it deals with microtones. I just downloaded it today :)
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 03:33 PM

where did you download from?

Khalid_Salé
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 03:44 PM

http://musescore.org/en/download

It's not a torrent with a crack or anything, it's a free program. I definitely recommend having a look. It's so easy it reminds me of the McDonalds cash register where they press the button with the picture of a big mac on it - harder to get it wrong than get it right. Just right for my level...
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top