Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: ORIENTAL MUSIC NOTATION with Finale?
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 03:36 AM

Just now checking out MuseScore (Linux version).

I'll admit...using a WYSIWYG notation program can be nice for composing since you can paint melodies on to the screen and get some immediate visual and audio feedback. That's really nice. However it doesn't seem to play back microtonal pitches, not a big deal if you have the true melodies in your head.

Nice as that is, if you want to make nicely engraved and attractive notation from existing pieces (basically what I do with old Turkish classical repertoire) then this is not the application for that. It could be handy to enter the pitches in MuseScore and save that to Lilypond but unfortunately it doesn't seem to save the Turkish accidentals, I would have to re-create those in Lilypond and that's really tedious.

Maybe some day someone can come up with a nice GUI for Lilypond where we can drag and drop pitches on the screen. For now, Lilypond takes a bit of commitment to learn and get the hang of but the results are awesome and well worth the effort.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:41 AM

Adam, I'm really impressed with the results you're getting in Lilypond. Those charts look terrific.

I've spent so much time with Finale that I can do pretty much whatever I want at this point, but I'll admit it is not the most user-friendly program, especially for microtonal music.
I've resigned myself to not having microtonal playback, but I can get the visual results I want 99% of the time. Transposition is still tricky and requires a lot of manual correction if you are using microtones.

I share your wish for a holy-grail turkish-to-Arabic auto-converter!
As we discussed before, it's not so easy, since Arabic accidentals are "lossy" with respect to Ottoman music, and because the performance practice can be unpredictable.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 09:29 AM

I definitely need microtonal playback because I give the sheets and midi playback files to musicians to learn the music.

Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:38 AM

Hey guys - check out this turkish software and see what you think. I have not yet had the chance to try it but one of my bandmates got it and I should ask him if he has found any problems with it yet...

http://www.mus2.com.tr/en/

mike :)
Aaron Blain
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 05:26 PM

To compose microtonal midi music, check out SCALA.

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

You rout your sequencer through it and it pitch bends each note to fit the scale you've defined. A bit hard to get used to, but very powerful.
Rym Carry
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 04:28 AM

Dear Khalid,
There are so many people who won't download anything without torrent becuase the torrent client is the more faster and effective way to safe downloading so is there any torrent file available that you can post here for me?
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 04:43 AM

Welcome to the forums Rym.

The Windows version of MuseScore is just 36.7 MB and can be downloaded directly from Sourceforge.
I fail to see why anyone would hesitate at using regular downloading methods to acquire that file.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top