Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need your help with getting a professional oud
frao
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 02:59 AM
Need your help with getting a professional oud

hey there.
i am thinking of getting a decent arabic oud and i really need your help. i have the following questions:
is it possible to get a decent oud for up to 500$ (or cheaper)?
what is a better + cheaper way to get it: via mailorder or by going to the middle east and finding it by myself? i have connections or planing to go to the following countries: israel, turkey, syria (might also be lebanon and/or jordan), northern iraq. does that help me?

thank you. i'm also waiting for some other suggestions because i know there are some important questions i didn't ask because i don't know them.

up for Diogenian cynic naivette!
Franck
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 05:55 AM

You'll be very lucky to find a professional for 500$, I found one (in fact it found me!), but most ouds at that price are not worth playing. I think that when you buy an instrument that's already made, you should try it to see if it fits your taste and playing style. When you buy an instrument blindly, you're bound to be disappointed. Also, ouds made in Europe or Asia suffer climatic shock when they cross the ocean, so if you live in the American continent I strongly suggest that you buy one made on the American continent.

Good luck
zakiya_alali
Oud Junkie

Mood: Jameel Bashir is a Legand

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 06:39 AM

Hi frao

well u never no u might get a good oud with that price u jusy need to keep ur eyes open, but u need to try it before u actually deside to buy it. If u r going on holiday then u can purchase an oud from there wthin that price but dont go there because u want to buy oud because in this case it will cost u more.

KR
Arab Instrument
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 09:00 AM

Hi
I have sold many ouds of Gawharet El Fan and my clients were very happy with their purchase.
I have sent my ouds to the USA, Europe and even to New Zealand.
You can see my collection here: http://www.arabinstruments.com/

Thanks
frao
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 01:17 PM

i live in europe but i'll be drifting somewhere in turkey/middle east during the next few months.
does anyone have any comments about Gawharet El Fan ouds?

Arab Instrument
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 11:56 PM

zakiya_alali
Oud Junkie

Mood: Jameel Bashir is a Legand

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 12:06 AM

Hi Arab Instrument
Why are u selling those ouds for half of their price???

is there something wrong with them??

KR
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 12:46 AM

Hi Frao,

Lets keep it simple, $500 oud is suitable for decoration only. And you will NOT find good quality oud for beginners $500 in the market. You might find second hand in this forum for this price.

Turkey is very good source. Having said that, Some body with experience should try it for you otherwise you will rape you off and sell you bad quality oud.

I do suggest to increase your budget little bit, let say up to $800 and you will get good quality oud.

I only deal with oud maker and never bought oud from the market for last 10 years. But i am sure the some members of this great forum will advise you where to such oud.

Thanks
whisperoftheoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 05:38 AM

Dear frao ,

if you send us an e-mail we can send our price list for you.We just make professional ouds.

thanks and regards,

Turkish Oud Team

http://www.turkishoud.com
http://www.turkishouds.com
http://www.myspace.com/turkishouds
Arab Instrument
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 08:09 AM

Dear Friend
I am selling them in half price because i am buying big amounts of ouds and this is why i can afford to sell them in this price. Most of the instrument stores are dealing with few ouds while my company import many of them.
The ouds are very good and i am sure you will be happy with your purchase.
I don't think you should spent 500$ - 700$ to get the oud that you want.

Thanks
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 09:06 AM

Ciao Frao,
I think that for istance you should understand if you want a turkish or an arabic oud.
In general it seems that you can find an almost decent turkish oud for 500 dollars, but not an arabic one.
Anyway, for this price you are not going to get nothing professional unless you get a very good second hand deal..

What I can say is that in Istanbul you should visit Alì Nisadir\ He's a conscructor, and its ouds are very beautiful and much cheaper than those of other conscructors.
I don't think he has 500 dollars ouds, but it could have 500 euro ouds\ it's worth asking
http://www.udmaker.com
frao
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 09:10 AM

hey danieletarab,
i've noted that i am looking for an <b>arabic</b> oud. thank you for your suggestions anyway.
one more question: what about sukar ouds?

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 01:14 PM

Hei Frao!
I have 5 ouds custem made by Sukar!
And her is my openion about Sukar ouds:

-All 5 are good
-Cheep if you bye directly from him. (500 to 800 $)
- you will have to travel to Aleppo (he does not send)!
- Only one of them was VERY good (almost perfict): No scrach what so ever, no buzzing sound, low action, beautiful sound.. etc (one out of 5). So it depends on what you are after. As I said all 5 are good though!
- he almost never have ready to go (not GOOD ones at least)
so you'll have to be lucky. Or you have to contakt him before going there.
The first and second time I contacted him and asked him to make a spesific oud. He said yes, and when I got there, there was no oud waiting for me!! Don't misunderstand me! he is a wonderfull and honest man (I find him so). But something in the lose style! if you know what I mean.
But the next time I phoned, he took me seriously, and made the fantastic oud!

The problem with Sukar, is that you never REALLY know what you are getting! Because he has extreemly bad strings on his oud. So even if you try it first, it doesn't help. Beacuse it will sound awfull anyway. And lots of buzzing! it is first when you put good quality strings that you know if you got a GOOD prof oud or not (but keep in mind that all 5 where good enough, in a way. So it depends what you are looking for!

Hope I did not forget any detail : )

Good luck
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2009 at 01:49 PM

Hey Frao, I have three Sukar ouds (two acoustic and one electric) and I think they all have a good sound... I don't know if they are "concert quality" - but certainly good to play. Bought two from a dealer here in the states and another from a member of the forum...

What are peoples thoughts on the CEM ouds from Germany that I see up on Ebay?

Chris Walters
frao
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 08:54 AM

hey,
if any of you have Samir Azar's ouds, could you please post some sound clips? it would be interesting to compare it with Sukar's.

oudemir
Oud Lover

Mood: practicing

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dubai244  
Hi Frao,

Lets keep it simple, $500 oud is suitable for decoration only. And you will NOT find good quality oud for beginners $500 in the market. You might find second hand in this forum for this price.

Turkey is very good source. Having said that, Some body with experience should try it for you otherwise you will rape you off and sell you bad quality oud.

I do suggest to increase your budget little bit, let say up to $800 and you will get good quality oud.

I only deal with oud maker and never bought oud from the market for last 10 years. But i am sure the some members of this great forum will advise you where to such oud.

Thanks

This is probably true for new ouds but.. I have to say, the oud I purchased from Usta Maurice has a very good sound for the $500 I paid for it. It sounds as good as some of the $800 - $1000 ouds I have played and heard. Mine is a floating bridge (oud #6 from the first $500 ouds thread) with a nice bright, but deep tone. Many oud players in the Cal Poly Arab Music Ensemble have commented on the clear sound it produces. I have to say, it is definitely semi professional quality and I will be gigging with it for sure. I will have Mike post some sound clips when I get the time to record a bit and put new strings on it. I was skeptical to order without hearing it, but have no buyers remorse. :)

Frao, please consider buying one of his ouds and having someone experienced set it up for you. Mine needed only new strings and had good action with out any buzzing. Once the strings settled in, I could not put it down! :airguitar: My Isabelle model Antonio Lorente classical guitar is very jealous. ;)

Go To Top