Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reputable oud shops in Cairo?
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 02:39 AM
Reputable oud shops in Cairo?

Hi, I am a new user of this forum and a future oud owner. I'm going to Egypt next Saturday and one of my goals is to purchase a new oud. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations of where to buy an oud in Cairo?

So far, I've read this page, which has mostly been helpful: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/oud.htm

It says to visit Mohammad Ali Street, but doesn't list any reputable shops. I've done some research on ouds, but still, I'd rather buy fro m a reputable shop/maker. My budget is 300-500 US dollars.

If anyone has a suggestion for a particular place(s) to look (name and/or address would be great!), I would really appreciate it!

Anthony
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 08:20 AM

welcome to the forum Anthony. Maurice Shehata is one oud maker in Cairo, is very popular with many members of the forum who play one of his lovely ouds. I don't have his exact address but perhaps Mike or another member might have it.
Fathi Amin is another maker, but I don't have his address either!
Here is a bit more:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6956#pid425...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1870#pid117...

good luck! :airguitar:
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 09:23 AM

Also see these threads:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6188
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3391

I got a very decent instrument from one of the Gawharet Al Fan shops for about $220 US about a year and a half ago. They're not as nicely made as Shehata's but they don't cost as much either! I've gotten quite a few compliments on it. There's a picture on the second thread above, as well as one of the inside of the shop.

Here's the outside of the shop on Muhamed Ali St.:

Good hunting!
Nathan
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 03:31 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies. I guess the best thing to do would be to simply go and see for myself. I'm not really afraid that I would pick out a bad oud, I'm more afraid of paying way too much. I'm assuming that after browsing a few stores, I'll get a really good idea of what is and is not quality. Is this Gawharet Al Fan some type of chain music store? Is it normal to haggle in a chain store? Actually, let me phrase it this way, is there any type of store/shop/vendor which I should NOT haggle?

stringmanca - did the 220 dollars include a hard case and pick? Do you advise buying extra strings at the same time?

Thanks again for your replies! I'll let you know how it goes.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 04:21 PM

Actually, we went in to buy drums (and bought several) and I was just trying out some of the ouds while waiting. After we decided on the drums, the owner said 'OK, now we talk ouds!'. We went upstairs and looked at some more expensive ones, but I was concerned about getting a nicer one home in one piece and stuck with the cheaper one. He lowered the prices on everything without us even asking and the prices were so ridiculously low that we didn't bother haggling.

The only hard case he had was a big box like a coffin, which was more than the oud so I didn't go for it. He included both a soft case and a cardboard case in the price of the oud. I didn't get strings because he didn't have much choice and I was looking for something different. Didn't think to ask for a pick at the time.

It's not really a chain store, they have a couple of shops in different parts of town and do a big Web business. We weren't looking for this store in particular, we just went walking down the street to see what was there and stopped in. By the way, you won't find Muhamed Ali Street on the maps. It's called something else that I can't think of at the moment - it took awhile to figure out where it was.

The Shehata shop is pretty hard to find on the maps too. I never got there but I did figure out what area it was in eventually - it's in the northeast area of greater Cairo.

I hope that's helpful.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 08:10 AM

Master Shehata's shop is off Misr and Sudan St. (Share' Masr wal Sudan), even though the address on the website says it's on. However, it's not off more than 10 meters.

Now, you ought to go walk because Misr and Sudan St. is pretty fuzzy (hilarious, in retrospect) if you're driving. It's a segmented one way street where segments go in opposite directions. :-)

(I just noticed that the site is being updated, but the address is 80 Misr & Sudan St.)

But don't fret getting to there. Even if you have a hard time, once you get to the shop and play the ouds yourself, it will be all worthwhile.

Good luck.
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for your replies again! I've got another question: how fragile are (most) ouds? If one was in a hard case, would they be safe to check in on a plane? If no hard case, do you think most airlines would let you carry it on?

I'm also still wondering about haggling. Is there any situation in which haggling would not be appropriate? e.g. - in a "big" store, in a reputable store, or with a reputable oud-maker?

Stringmanca: I noticed the drums in the pics that were in the second link you posted... they looked awesome. Are those 2 the only drums you got? Mind telling me what you paid for them? I'd love to get some tablas.

Amtaha: Thanks for the advice - but does Master Shehata have any ouds for US $300-500? I was under the impression that his ouds are quite expensive, in the US $1000+ range. Actually, I can probably go as high as 700 - it just means I'll be eating top ramen for the next month. :)
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 01:19 PM

We flew British Air and I was able to carry-on the oud. I had it in the soft case inside the cardboard case along with my extra socks. It fit fine in the overhead rack and I didn't have any problems. That was in December 2006, though. I don't know if the rules have changed since then.

We packed the drums in our big suitcases, padded with lots of shirts, and they came through fine also.

My wife and I each bought a tabla ($65 each) and I bought the blue duff ($12:D). Our friend also bought a tabla. The tablas each came with a soft case, extra head and a tuning key.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 01:59 PM

It really depends on the availability. A standing advice is to call/email master Maurice (or his shop) before you go. Perhaps you can find his contact details through searching the website.

As far I can tell, his ouds are fairly priced given the materials he uses and the quality of his work.

However, as with any other purchase, you ought to research (in this forum and in contacting different makers) so that you know what is feasible for you and, more importantly, what is it you want in an oud.

Good luck!
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 02:33 PM

wayfaerer

Gamil Georges on Mohamed Ali street can also have a few good ouds.. I got mine last summer from that luthiery within the price range you specified or even less, but its not going to be the same quality as Shehata's ouds.

You might like to see Fathi Amin as well if you're getting into the price range of Shehata.

Hisham
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. It is all much appreciated. I'm very happy with what I see in this forum and hopefully will be inducted to the brother-and/or-sister-hood, as soon as I get my oud of course.

Stringmanca, my friend, I must say that the prize of your trip to Egypt is undoubtedly the $12 blue duff. Forget ouds. Forget pyramids. Passion. Devotion. Obsession. Blue Duff. No wait... Calvin Klein.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 09:17 AM

I think you've inspired a new song: 'Blue Duff In The Buff'

Maybe I can get Matthew McConaughey for the video!

Have a great trip!:cool:
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 01:59 PM

Well, I'm back now, and one oud richer! I was mostly VERY unimpressed with the quality of the ouds I saw on Mohamed Ali street. I didn't make it to Shehata's place - I tried e-mailing him and received no reply. But I was most impressed with the Gamil Georges shop. The prices were fair and the quality was high (provided you got one of the nicer ones). So here is my new oud, and thanks everyone for your help!
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 02:20 PM

Congrats Wayfaerer . its a beautiful oud ... looks similar to mine, although yours has a lot more workmanship to it. Whats the bowl made of ?

I hope you enjoy it.

Hisham
wayfaerer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 11:47 PM

Thanks! The back is made of rosewood. Now, if only it was easier to play! The backs of these things are so big that it's difficult to see what you're playing. Oh well - at least now I won't have to see all of my mistakes, I can just pretend that whatever I'm playing looks cool. :airguitar:
periklistsoukalas
Oud Lover

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-12-2010 at 02:28 PM

Hello Wayfaerer

Can you please write me how much that Oud by Gamil Georges shop in the photo costs ? and when ?

regards
Peri

Go To Top